|Flea Collar for Dogs||Our rating||Check Price on Amazon||Good for..|
|Regirock Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs |
|(4.9 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Best Hypoallergenic Flea Collar|
|Arava Dead Sea Pet Spa Flea Collar||(4.9 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Safest Flea Collar for Puppies|
|Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar||(4.8 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Best Flea Collar Overall|
|Hopewell Flea and Tick Dog Collar||(4.7 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Best All-Natural Repellant Collar|
|Scalibur Protector Band||(4.6 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Best Collar for Protection Against Several Insects|
|Pet Gallo Flea and Tick Dog Collar||(4.5 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Best Collar for Small Dogs|
|Hartz Ultraguard Plus Flea Collar||(4.2 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Best Budget Option|
|Adams Plus Flea and Tick Collar||(4.2 / 5)||Check Price on Amazon||Effective but with a warning|
I found out recently that I get the same feeling when my dog has fleas.
1 Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar Best Flea Collar Overall
The Bayer Seresto is the most popular flea and tick collar and for a good reason. It is odorless, comfortable for your dog, and it works for eight months at a time. It continuously releases insecticide, covering your dog from head to toe, for complete protection against fleas in all life stages. It is completely water-resistant, even if your dog takes a swim. The collar has an adjustable fit, and you can purchase a large or small variety to find the perfect fit for your animal.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar
- (there is another collar suitable for cats if you happen to have multiple animals)
- – Safety release mechanism
- – Odorless and non-greasy
- – Water-resistant
- – Last up to 8 months
- – Continuously kills adult fleas, eggs, and larvae
- – Active Ingredients: Flumethrin, Imidacloprid
- – Only repels some types of ticks
- – Some dogs may have a reaction, including skin irritation, illness, and in extreme cases, seizures
- – Higher price than other options, but similar in cost to spot-treatments and other more effective treatments.
Probably the best product on the market for most pups!
2 Hopewell Flea and Tick Dog Collar Best All-Natural Repellant Collar
The Hopewell flea and tick collar is a newer product that is made in Germany, and it is made with 100% natural ingredients, which are mostly essential oils. There are no harsh chemicals, so it is completely hypoallergenic and safe for your dog. It is waterproof and works for up to eight months.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Hopewell Flea and Tick Dog Collar
- The essential oils include cinnamon, eucalyptus, lavender, and lemon oils. However, these ingredients are better at repelling fleas, not necessarily killing them.
- – Hypoallergenic and no harsh chemicals
- – Lasts up to 8 months
- – One-size fits all (the collar is 25 inches, to begin with, you cut it down to fit your dog)
- – Low price
- – A weaker collar that might break more easily
- – Only repels fleas for prevention, doesn’t effectively treat prior infestations
This is a good collar for preventing fleas, but it won’t do much if your dog already has them.
3 Scalibur Protector Band Best Collar for Protection Against Several Insects
Most flea collars protect against two of the most dangerous insects, fleas, and ticks. But those are not the only kinds of insects that can irritate your dog, nest in their fur, and infest your home.
The Scalibur Protector Band fights off fleas and ticks, but it also works against mosquitos and sand-flies.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Scalibur Protector Band
- The main active ingredient is Deltamethrin, which is one of the safest ingredients available. It continuously releases the insecticide for six months.
- – Safe, active ingredients
- – Fights multiple insects
- – Lasts for six months
- – Odorless
- – Water-resistant
- – One-size fits all
- – Some customers have complained that the collar caused a rash or blisters on their dog’s neck. Do not use if your dog has sensitive skin.
- – The collar is weaker than some other brands.
- – Higher cost (however, check with your veterinarian to see if they can offer you a better price).
This is a comprehensive solution against a range of issues from ticks to sand flies!
4 Arava Dead Sea Pet Spa Flea Collar Safest Flea Collar for Puppies
The Arava flea collar is one of the safest collars available, and it is even safe for use around babies and puppies. It has a combination of natural ingredients, including herbal remedies and essential oils.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Arava Dead Sea Pet Spa Flea Collar
- There are no harsh chemicals. It is water-resistant, lasts for five months, and has a money-back guarantee.
- – All-natural ingredients that are safe for babies and puppies
- – Money-back guarantee
- – Light but pleasant scent (if the scent is overwhelming at first, allow it to air out before putting it on your dog)
- – A portion of each purchase is donated to animal rights charities
- – Water-resistant
- – Is less effective on thick fur
- – Can be greasy
This is a good option if you have a puppy because it is safe!
5 Hartz Ultraguard Plus Flea Collar Best Budget Option
The Hartz Ultraguard is one of the best-priced flea collars on the market. However, the reason that it is so affordable is that it uses harmful active ingredients, including TCVP. If you simply can’t afford the more expensive options, this collar will work, but be sure to be extra careful when handling the collar, don’t let your children play with it, and watch your dog carefully for signs of any reaction.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Hartz Ultraguard Plus Flea Collar
- – Lowest price
- – Fights fleas in every life stage
- – Lasts for up to 5 months
- – Comfortable design (they have a large dog collar that is specifically designed to fit your dog’s neck without being too heavy).
- – Harmful ingredients including TCVP, which can cause cancer
- – The plastic on the collar is cheap and might break easily
- – May take some time to begin working
This collar is a great option if you are on a tight budget!
6 Pet Gallo Flea and Tick Dog Collar Best Collar for Small Dogs
The Pet Gallo flea collar is similar to other options in a lot of its features, like the active ingredients, water-resistant design, and effectiveness at killing fleas. But they have a small sized collar that is perfect for small breed dogs. The 18-inch collar can be adjusted to your dog’s size, but it only weighs two ounces, so it won’t weigh on your dog’s neck.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Pet Gallo Flea and Tick Dog Collar
- – Adjustable, lightweight collar perfect for small breeds
- – Light, pleasant scent
- – Water-resistant
- – Effectively kills fleas, eggs, larvae, and ticks
- – Safe for puppies over 6 weeks old
- – Money-back guarantee available
- – Harmful TCVP is the first active ingredient
- – Cheap materials may break easily
- – Some customers complained that the collar only protected the dog’s head and chest, but the areas away from the collar were still infested.
- – May not work as well if you store it for extended amounts of time
Be aware that the main ingredient is TCVP, so you should use it cautiously.
7 Regirock Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs Best Hypoallergenic Flea Collar
The Regirock flea and tick collar is made from natural plant extracts, so it is safe, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic. It is effective at killing fleas, ticks, and other pests, and it lasts for up to eight months.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Regirock Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
- – Hypoallergenic
- – Non-greasy, odorless
- – One-size fits all, adjustable collar
- – Water-resistant
- – Protection for up to 8 months
- – Some offers include a flea removal kit for free
- – Natural and safe ingredients
- – Made in Germany
- – The expiration date may change the effectiveness of the product.
- – Some dogs showed signs of distress, such as pacing or heavy-breathing, that seemed to be connected to this product.
- What to Watch Out For
- – Some customers had complained that they received a knockoff version of this product when they ordered online. Check the reviews on the product and seller before purchasing. If the active ingredient listed is Citronella- it is a knock-off, and you should send it back.
8 Adams Plus Flea and Tick Collar
The Adams Plus Flea and Tick Collar is effective, water-resistant, and affordable. It doesn’t contain the harmful TCVP ingredient, but it also contains an (S)-Methoprene, which is a safe insect growth regulator.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Adams Plus Flea and Tick Collar
- – Inexpensive and effective
- – Water-resistant
- – Lasts for up to 7 months
- – Works against fleas at all life stages
- – Harmful TCVP is an active ingredient
- – There is no safety release mechanism on the collar, which could be dangerous if the collar gets stuck on something while your dog is wearing it.
- – May cause seizures in some dogs
- – Some customers complain that it was not effective for the whole seven months that it advertises
This collar is not safe for pregnant or nursing dogs, and it should be handled carefully by humans.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING A FLEA COLLAR?
There are hundreds of options available when it comes to flea collars, and it can be very overwhelming to find the right one for your dog. When I first started searching for a collar for Panther, I was astonished by how many options there are. But I soon discovered that you could easily rule some of the options out by paying attention to a few important factors.
Flea Collar for Dogs Buyer’s Guide
When you decide to buy a flea collar, there are some things that you should keep in mind, especially once you have narrowed it down to two or three possibilities. If you are choosing between a few products, here are the factors that can make one stand out as a better option for you and your dog.
Flea collars do contain a combination of medicine, essential oils, and chemicals to create an insecticide that is deadly to fleas and ticks. They are safe for your dog to wear, but there are some important safety precautions that you should take to avoid some possibly major medical problems for both you and your pet.
How Do Flea Collars Work?
Flea collars work in a few different ways. Many flea collars will have multiple insecticides so that they can target fleas at different life stages or so they can be used during both prevention and treatment. Look for a collar that has a combination best suited to your needs.
Insect repellents are good for getting fleas to stay away from your dog in the first place, but they aren’t so great at treating an infestation that has already begun. Repellants often contain essential oils and other natural ingredients. These collars work by sending a medicine into the uppermost layer of your dog’s skin that bothers the fleas once they take a bite out of your dog. Because they have to be bitten before repellants are useful, I recommend finding a collar that repels and kills on contact.
Many flea collars contain a pesticide, but there are two types that should be included. Strong insecticides immediately kill adult fleas and other insects. However, they do nothing to fight against the eggs and larvae that have been laid. So, you need a collar that also has an IGR. An IGR is an insect growth regulator that disrupts the life cycle of eggs and larvae so that they cannot become full-grown insects.
Why use dog flea collars and how effective are they?
The effectiveness of flea collars will depend on the ingredients, water resistance, and the materials that the collar is made from. They are effective 80-95% of the time, and they usually start working within the first 48 hours. Deltamethrin is one of the safest insecticides, and it also happens to be one of the most effective.
There are multiple options when it comes to flea treatment, but most dog owners choose a flea collar because they don’t have to worry about giving their dog medicine at the right time each month. Flea collars tend to last several months, so you can use it for a while before you have to think about changing it.
Are they safe?
As mentioned, flea collars do contain insecticides that can be potentially harmful. There is a big difference between some of the active ingredients, and some are more harmful than others. Below, I have listed a few common ingredients and why you should or should not choose them.
Deltamethrin is the safest active ingredient for both your dog and for you. It is a man-made version of a natural insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers. It attacks the central nervous system of fleas and other insects, but the higher body temperature of mammals breaks it down so that it can’t harm you or your dog if ingested in small amounts.
Are flea collars NOT suitable for some dogs?
Other ways to control/remove fleas and ticks on the dog
In the end, you will have to choose the one that works best for you and your dog. Your veterinarian can give you guidance, specific to your dog’s breed and other health factors. Be certain to talk to your vet before using any of these products, and certainly when using multiple products. Using multiple insecticides can be harmful to you and your pet, so proceed cautiously.
Are Dog and Cat Flea Collars the Same?