The Invisible Fence ICT 700 from Perimeter Technologies is a state-of-the-art pet containment system. Invisible Fence has a one-year, money-back guarantee, along with lightning and surge damage warranties. The goal of this product is to keep pets safe.
The Invisible Fence will allow customers to set up a perimeter around a yard and help teach pets to stay within that perimeter. The radius can range from 5-90 feet, depending on customers’ needs and property size.
The individual collar cost is $150+ and the dimensions are 10 x 8.5 x 3.2 inches, weighing one pound. One Lithium ion battery is required to operate this collar.
Please make sure to read all operating and training instructions before using this product.
The following are some things to consider before purchasing an Invisible Fence.
- Age of pet: These collars should not be used on puppies younger than 2-3 months old.
- Weight of pet: The size of the pet matters when choosing a type of fence to install. If the pet weighs less than eight pounds, this is not the type of fence needed.
- Neck size: The pet’s neck needs to be a minimum of six inches in circumference to use this collar. Their neck can be a maximum of 28 inches.
- Safety features: The system strives for safe collars, happy dogs and owners. The Invisible Fence collars are water resistant and safe for pets to wear in the rain or when they sweat.
- Portability and set up: This system is one that can be set up quickly, in a matter of an hour or so. This makes it possible for customers to easily transport the system as well.
- Batteries and power outlets: The transmitter can be fully charged within 2-3 hours. This transmitter hub can be moved to various locations with ease.
- Space and area: The boundary area size can be changed, up to half an acre (180 feet). If a larger boundary is need, there is an option to add more transmitter hubs.
- Corrections features: This system has adjustable levels of correction to fit the pet’s needs. The collar’s shock will last for 30 seconds when the pet crosses the boundary, then turn off for five minutes. The 30-second shock cycle will continue every five minutes until the pet returns to the boundary area. There is an option to reduce the intensity of the shock, and also an option to only use the tone, depending on how the pet reacts.
- Multiple pets: If the customer has multiple pets, that should be factored in when putting them on the same transmitter system. At least two dogs can be trained on the same system.
- House type and income: Be sure that an Invisible Fence is something that fits the customers’ individual needs, such as home type, yard size and income. For example, if a home has metal siding or a metal roof, that will block the electromagnetic waves that transmit to the boundary outside in the yard. The transmitter should never be placed near large metal objects. If the home is a log cabin, or the yard is covered with dense trees, that will weaken the electromagnetic signal as well. Also consider if this is a feasible purchase related to income.
- Yard size and shape: The Invisible Fence has a round shape. If the yard is rectangular or square, then the fence will not cover the entire area of the yard. This is a great option if customers have areas in the yard pets shouldn’t travel to, such as a garden.
Safety Tips – Check Carefully
Obey all cautions and warnings for the Invisible Fence pet containment system. Make sure to train the pet properly and fully before allowing them to run in the yard on their own.
- Do not attempt to service any of the equipment yourself. The company offers an international network of professionals who offer installation, Safe Dog pet training and prompt service. Please make sure to contact an Invisible Fence professional for servicing and repairing the product and all additional equipment.
- This collar is for animal use only. Do not attempt to use the product for any other reason.
- Do not install the Invisible Fence transmitter or any other system component, except the signal field wire, outdoors or where the parts could be exposed to the elements. This will void the product’s warranties.
- Be sure to remove the collar from the pet before making any adjustments to the system.
- Never attempt to install, connect or service the Invisible Fence system when there is inclement weather in the area.
- Occasionally check the transmitter to ensure it is producing a signal along the signal field wire.
If the customer has any questions or concerns, please contact an Invisible Fence professional right away.
Facts about Invisible Fence
The collar receiver is water resistant and powered by a lithium Power Cap battery. The collar receivers are available with long, short or short-space receiver posts to fit the specific coats of different dogs.
The Invisible Fence system works by transmitting an electromagnetic frequency. The collar emits a warning tone when the pet approaches the boundary. If he/she crosses the boundary, the collar will send a slight shock. This will not harm the pet. Think of it as a shock from a car door, or doorknob at home. If the pet does not return to the boundary, the shock will last for 30 seconds, then turn off for five minutes. The 30-second shock cycle will continue every five minutes until the pet returns to the boundary. There is an option to reduce the intensity of the shock, and also an option to use the tone only.
What to Watch Out for With This Product
Be sure to train the pet appropriately, following each step in the training process. The pet’s personality will have a lot to do with their learning speed. Remember to be patient with them. Customers will need to establish a “safe signal” so that the pet knows when it is okay to cross the boundary.
After bringing the pet inside, remove the collar. It is not meant for continuous, around-the-clock use. Using the collar for 12 hours at a time is what is recommended.
Periodically, the Computer Collar receiver’s Power Cap battery will need to be changed. This will need to occur every 3-4 months. The Power Cap battery consists of a lithium battery with a plastic screw cap. Be sure to contact an Invisible Fence professional to work out a plan for replacing the Power Cap battery, and if there are any questions about the process of doing so.
The control panel component includes visual and audio signals to warn of a system malfunction and is intended to be installed in a place where the signals can be easily seen and heard. If this is not the condition of the control panel, the customer will not reap the benefits of the warning functions, and Invisible Fence dealers and distributors will not assume responsibility.
Taking the batteries out of the collar when it is not in use, such as when the pet is in the house, will prolong the life of the batteries.
Be sure that the transmitter is not placed on the floor, or on the second story of the home. It needs to be placed approximately 2-4 feet off the floor. Do not place the transmitter near large metal objects.
Benefits and Features – Pros
The installation of the Invisible Fence is easy and user-friendly. Several videos are available to watch for reference as well.
The Computer Collar is water and weather resistant and is portable. It can easily be taken on any trips, or if the customer moves residences.
Several pets can all use only one transmitter, as long as they are wearing the receiver collars.
This collar has interchangeable correction posts for different types of fur.
A larger boundary can be created by using multiple transmitters. Set up the transmitters so their boundaries overlap 5-10 feet, and a figure-eight, or large, rounded square can be created in the yard.
This product has been reviewed by many customers and has an above average rating.
The collar has a loud, audible tone to help pets understand the boundary is near.
Invisible Fence collar is an affordable option, according to customers.
No tools are required to assemble this product.
Customer service from this company is highly rated.
The collar is adjustable.
Customers state this collar works well for even the largest of dogs.
Problems – Cons
Sometimes even a properly trained animal cannot be trained to avoid crossing the Invisible Fence boundary. The company cannot guarantee that the pet will stay within the boundary in all cases. If there is any reason to believe the pet may be a danger to itself or others if it crosses the boundary, the customer should not fully rely on the Invisible Fence in that case.
Some people believe the shock from the electronic collar causes a pet to become aggressive, and potentially bite or attack. The customer should be on the lookout for any aggressive behavior, such as biting, growling, snapping, snarling, or anything else, especially during training. If this type of aggressive behavior occurs, stop using this product immediately and contact an Invisible Fence professional.
This product is for dogs weighing eight pounds or more.
The boundary area is circular and cannot be changed to be rectangular or square. If the customer has a yard that slopes it could interfere with the range of the electromagnetic field.
Some customers report that the battery cap screw is difficult to access.
Reports have been made that the product does not consistently give a tone and/or shock, allowing the pet to travel over the boundary.
The collar only works on certain frequencies.
Some customers report the tone does not sound at the correct distance from the boundary.
While there is a warranty with this product, reports have been made that the longevity of the collar is not as expected.