Shih Tzus and dogs can be an unlikely pair! But it may not be a bad pair.
Typically, or should I say naturally, Shih Tzus and guinea pigs weren’t meant to get along. Dogs, including Shih Tzus, have a natural predator reaction towards rodents such as guinea pigs.
Do Shih Tzu Get Along With Guinea Pigs?
When properly trained and properly introduced, shih tzus and guinea pigs have the capability to get along! Normally, a shih tzu may seem concerned at first, but at the end of the day, it’ll be easy for a shih tzu and a guinea pig to live in harmony.
Will My Shih Tzu Attack And Kill My Guinea Pigs?
If left untrained, your shih tzu could potentially attack and kill your guinea pig. It takes a good amount of training to get the two animals to level of trust with one another. You could luck out though and your shih tzu may not mind your guinea pig! But it’s important to never leave the two alone.
Can My Shih Tzu And Guinea Pig Be Best Friends?
Your shih tzu and guinea pig could be friends. It is more likely that they will eventually just ignore each other and learn to coexist with one another.
How To Train A Shih Tzu To Be Nice To A Guinea Pig?
If you make the introduction between shih tzu and things pig and they do not like each other, it is important to train your dog to be nice and not attack the smaller animal.
- Place guinea pig where your shih tzu can’t reach
- Put your guinea pig cage high up on a table or somewhere where your dog can’t reach it.
- Let your shih tzu watch your guinea pig
- Hang out with your dog and have him/her watch your guinea pig just being a guinea pig.
- Keep distance
- Don’t let your dog get too close to the cage. Use treats to make sure they are calm and keeping their distance. Use a leash if necessary.
- Down command
- Use treats to teach the down command when your dog gets too excited at the guinea pig.
- With time, put the cage on the floor
- You can eventually put the cage on the ground. Make sure your dog is at a point where this won’t be a problem. Use a leash and a muzzle if necessary.
Should I Get Guinea Pigs If I Have A Shih Tzu?
Don’t let having a dog hold you back from getting a guinea pig! You can properly introduce them slowly and carefully at first. If they don’t like each other, you can train your dog. If you have tried training your shih tzu and it just isn’t working, it may be best to get rid of the guinea pig. Or just keep them separate.
How Can The Guinea Pig Bond With My Shih Tzu?
Guinea pigs have many little ways that they show they are bonded to you or your other pets! Your guinea pig may:
- Get excited when they enter the room
- Gentle nibbling
- Not biting
- Playing with your dog
- Following your dog around
- Making little cooing noises
Are Shih Tzu Good With Other Pets Like Hamsters, Rats?
To dogs, all rodents are very similar. It’s very difficult for a dog to understand the difference between a guinea out and a hamster.