As dogs grow older, especially bigger ones, they start to experience hip and joint problems, just like humans do. This can make it difficult for them to walk, run, and jump onto beds or couches. What used to be your dog’s favorite sleeping spot might not be accessible to them anymore. It can be heartbreaking watching your pet struggle to stand and move with bone problems as they become senior dogs, and most pet owners want their dog to be as comfortable as possible in their later years.
Apart from hip dysplasia, many dogs exhibit joint problems as they grow older, especially if they were active throughout their lives. Both big dogs and small dogs can experience joint problems. It’s important to keep them comfortable, especially when they sleep. Now that your dog can no longer climb onto the bed or sofa to sleep, they need a bed that helps relieve the pressure points on their joints as they rest.
- 1 What should I look for when buying a bed for my senior dog?
- 2 Big Barker 7” Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed: An excellent choice for older, bigger dogs with joint problems
- 3 Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed: Ideal for smaller dogs with joint problems
- 4 PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed: Comes in multiple sizes for your older and more mature dogs
- 5 The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed – Best variety for size and shape
- 6 KOPEKS: Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed – Memory foam will keep its shape for dogs with joint and hip pain
- 7 K&H Pet Products Deluxe Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed – a comfortable option for small and medium sized dogs
- 8 KOPEKS 6-Inch Thick High Grade Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed: A great option for big, heavy dogs who need a lot of room
- 9 Stella Beds Elevated Memory Foam Dog Bed: Keeps Fido cool in the summer and warm in the winter
What should I look for when buying a bed for my senior dog?
When buying a dog bed, there are a few factors to keep in mind.
Size: Most dog beds come in multiple sizes for multiple breeds. Check the dimensions of the bed before purchasing to make sure it is large enough for your pooch.
Sleep style: Different dogs sleep in different positions. If your dog likes to splay out while he sleeps, you might want to size up the bed you purchase so he has room. Other dogs prefer curling up, so a bed with bolsters to keep her feeling safe and secure might be best. A lot of dogs also like to “nest,” or dig into the bed, before they sleep. Make sure you get a bed that has a durable cover if your dog likes to do this.
Additional features: Most dog beds come with a few standard features – memory foam or some sort of orthopedic foam, a washable cover, a nonslip bottom, and some sort of warranty. Additional features include bolsters (which your pet can rest his head on,) free replacement of covers, or waterproof lining.
Big Barker 7” Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed: An excellent choice for older, bigger dogs with joint problems
Customers are saying: This is a good bed for both older dogs and puppies alike. It is ideal for bigger dogs, and it’s important to know the correct measurements so your dog can fit on length-wise. Most customers say that while the price is pretty steep, the quality makes up for that. The material is durable and the cushioning is soft and easy on dog’s joints and hips. The biggest complaint from a handful of customers is if your dog likes to rip and bite, the cover might not hold up to dogs who like to nest and chew.
- The inner material does not easily flatten
- Microfiber cover is machine-washable
- No pressure points on dog’s joints
- Ideal for large dogs
- Expensive compared to other beds on the market
- Microfiber cover can tear fairly easily
- Not suited for small dogs
Overview: While this dog bed is pricey, customers say that it’s well worth the quality and their dog’s comfort. This seems like the ideal bed for older, bigger dogs who are experiencing joint pain when they lie down. The price may be a bit of an investment, but the bed will last longer than other beds with different materials.
Customers are saying: Most customers think that this bed is good for small to medium-size dogs, but some recommend getting a size up if you aren’t sure. For most customers, the bed holds up for at least three years or longer, and many end up buying the bed multiple times for their different pets. The biggest complaint is the cover can tear easily, even before three years. Again, this depends on how much your dog likes to chew or move around. Unfortunately, the company does not sell replacement covers.
-Sturdy and slip-proof
-Alleviates pressure points on dog’s joints
-70% positive customer reviews
- The cover is easily tearable
- Product may not run true to size
Overview: Customers like this bed for the durable inner material but not necessarily for the cover. While the bed holds up for three years or longer, the cover can easily tear especially if your dog is an energetic puppy or a chewer. However, the memory foam interior is comfortable for any small or medium sized dog, especially those who have had surgery or joint problems.
Customers are saying: A majority of the reviews are five stars. Most customers say that their dog enjoys laying on it; however, if your dog likes to stretch out, you might want to size up depending on your dog’s size. Customers also give good reviews to customer service. If damaged, the cover will be replaced free of charge.
- Different sizes and widths depending on size and weight of dog
- “Bolsters” on the side for a head and neck rest
- Water-resistant lining and memory foam pad
- Excellent customer service
- Might want to size up depending on how your dog lays
- Cover can be easily damaged
Overview: This pet bed has overwhelmingly positive reviews, especially with regard to its comfort level and customer service. While the cover may be easily damaged, customer service will replace the cover free of charge. Some customers were surprised by how small the bed was, and buying a size up tends to be the best practice.
Customers are saying: Customers like the comfort it provides to pets, from puppies to older dogs. Customers seem to prefer it for dogs with hip problems, and their dogs seem to rest more comfortably. For customers with bigger dogs, they like the thickness of the bed. A majority of the reviews are five stars.
- Variety of sizes for different sized dogs
- Will maintain its shape
- Water repellent
- The cover can be a bit flimsy, especially if your dog has sharp nails
- No warranty
- Replacement covers available, but at a cost
Overview: The Dog’s Bed has a lot of options and varieties based on your dog’s size and how they like to lay. Reviews tend to be positive, especially as it pertains to dogs with joint and hip problems. The bed is comfortable for older dogs who have a hard time getting around or are recovering from surgery.
KOPEKS: Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed – Memory foam will keep its shape for dogs with joint and hip pain
Customers are saying: This product has 60% positive reviews. Customers like the firmness of the bed that it provides. However, many are disappointed with the cover, saying it tears easily and does not wash well. There are a few complaints about how the zipper breaks easily or comes defective. Customers recommend buying a size bigger than you think you need, especially if your dog stretches out.
- High-quality memory foam
- Provides firm support for joints
- Hypoallergenic material
- Flimsy cover
- Cover not very comfortable for some dogs
- Faulty zipper
Overview: Kopeks offers a standard, comfortable dog bed for dogs who suffer from joint pain when lying down. While the cover is somewhat uncomfortable for some dogs, customers recommend adding a blanket or sheet to help with that. Customer service is very responsive to any issues customers may have.
K&H Pet Products Deluxe Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed – a comfortable option for small and medium sized dogs
Customers are saying: Customers seem to have positive experiences with the comfort and quality of the bed. Some reviewers have pets with injuries, and this makes it easy for them to curl up and sleep without jumping onto a bed or chair. The price is a bit high compared to other brands, but most customers say it is worth it.
- Bolster makes a good headrest
- The microfleece cover is comfortable
- Can withstand dogs who like to “dig”
- Expensive compared to others on the market
- Can be difficult for dogs to stretch out while they sleep
Overview: Machine washable, comfortable, and with bolsters, the K&H dog bed is best suited for dogs who like to feel safe and secure while they lounge or sleep. The memory foam is good for dogs with joint and hip issues, but the bolsters can be an issue for dogs who like to stretch out their legs during sleep.
KOPEKS 6-Inch Thick High Grade Orthopedic Memory Foam Bed: A great option for big, heavy dogs who need a lot of room
Customers are saying: The bed is very big and perfect for their large dogs. The memory foam is also very supportive and provides cushioning even for very heavy dogs.The majority of reviews are either 4 or 5 stars. Customers say that their big dogs are comfortable on it, although if your dog likes to nest or dig, the cover might not hold up. Customers recommend putting blankets on the bed.
- High-quality material at a value
- Thick, supportive memory foam
- Bolsters for head support
- Bolsters can sag
- Cover can be easily damaged
Overview: Customers seem to love this bed for their big dogs with hip and muscle issues. For most, the bed holds up for a long time even after a lot of use. If the cover gets damaged, Kopeks has replacement covers available for purchase. The size is also a plus for many customers – the jumbo size is perfect for bigger, heavier dogs.
Customers are Saying: Customers love the thickness of the bed and the support it provides their dogs. It also comes with two covers, so if one of them gets dirtied or soiled, there is one to replace it right away. Customers also appreciate the cooling gel on the other side that helps their dogs rest in warmer climates. Some customers experienced damaged zippers, but only a handful.
- Two sides for either coolness or warmth
- Comes with an additional bed cover
- 1-year warranty and high quality material
- Zipper can be easily damaged
- Can be difficult for dogs with hip problems to get on and off of it
Overview: This bed is very high quality and has some features that other dog beds do not have, including both warming and cooling sides and an extra bed cover. Customers love the product and the comfort it gives their dogs who can’t jump onto couches anymore. With multiple sizes, it is a good fit for any dog.