The OCEVEN Wireless Dog Fence with GPS may be a good choice for you if you have a large yard and are looking for an easy installation. A GPS wireless fence works differently than your standard in-ground fence or wireless fence—therefore, it is important to understand how it works and if it is a good fit for you and your pet. OCEVEN is primarily sold on Amazon and comes with very little equipment.
How does it work?
If this is your first time considering a GPS wireless fence it is important to understand how it operates and differentiates from other invisible fence systems. This is especially true if this is your first time looking at alternative fencing for your pets. The OCEVEN Wireless Dog Fence with GPS comes with one GPS collar, a TPU belt, one test bulb, two sets of metal probes, one USB charging cable, an instruction manual and two free toys (the TPU belt and metal probes attach to the collar). There is little installation involved with this GPS wireless fence. Before you begin installation, you must first determine how large of an area you want your wireless fence to cover and the center point of your safe/containment zone.
Check carefully because…
- The OCEVEN GPS fence is best utilized in a larger yard. If you have a small yard it may not be as effective. Buyers have noted that if you use it on the lowest setting (20-meter radius) there can be sporadic static corrections sent to your pet’s collar due to the lack of space.
- Although the installation for the GPS wireless fence is simple and great for large yards, there are certain situations where the fence may be ineffective. It will be more difficult for the GPS to detect satellites if it is raining or there appears to be dark clouds. It will also not work indoors, near large buildings, or if it is surrounded by trees.
THE MUST KNOW, TRUE FACTS ABOUT OCEVEN WIRELESS DOG FENCE SYSTEM WITH GPS
- The most important part of installing a new invisible fence is taking the time to properly train your pets. It is even more important with a GPS wireless fence. It is necessary to at least spend three weeks training your pet. The reason it may be more difficult to train your pet with this type of system is because the boundaries are not as defined. Since it uses satellites instead of a wire in the ground the boundaries can vary from time to time. However, buyers with larger yards have stated that they have had no issues with this system. It may be hard to use if you have a small yard or your pet is new to an invisible fence system.
- One of the biggest perks to the OCEVEN Wireless Dog Fence System is the easy installation. The downfall is that every time you turn the collar back on you will need to re-calibrate the radius and center point of the safe zone. This can become very tedious over time.
What to watch out for with this product?
- This brand is relatively new and only sold on third party websites such as Amazon and eBay. Although every product/brand is new at some point in time, it is important to note that there are not a lot of consumer reviews to establish a true brand reputation. However, most buyers have stated that the customer service has been excellent.
- The product says that it works for dogs in the range of 15 to 120 lbs., but some buyers have mentioned difficulty when using it with larger or hairier dogs. If you have a stubborn or large dog, you may want to carefully consider all options before deciding. There have been some complaints that the static correction has no effect on their large/stubborn dog. OCEVEN does not recommend using this product with overly stubborn dogs.
- Purchase flags or temporary fence during training. As stated before, it is crucial to train your pet for the GPS wireless fence to work properly. It will also reduce the amount of unwanted static corrections your pet receives if they are trained to understand the boundaries. Since the GPS wireless fence does not have definitive boundaries it is important to establish them for your pet. During training you can set up flag poles or a temporary fence so your pet can get used to the boundaries and have an association with the tone/static correction. If your pet is not properly trained or familiar with static correction, he/she will most likely run through the containment zone. It is important to note that the flags are not included with this fence system—you will need to purchase those separately.
- Keep your containment zone consistent. For your pet to fully understand his/her boundaries it is important to keep the containment/safe zone as consistent as possible. If training is done properly your pet will become familiar with his/her boundaries and learn to stay within the safe zone. If you sporadically change the radius or center point your pet will not be familiar with the new boundaries. This will then lead to confusion for your pet as well as unnecessary static correction. If you are planning on changing anything it will be important to re-train your pet to learn the new boundaries.
Benefits and Features:
- There is little to no installation required for this invisible fence.
- The GPS wireless fence comes with a rechargeable collar, so no need to continuously purchase batteries.
- The fence is portable in the sense that you can take it to other houses/yards easily and establish a boundary for your pet.
- It is great to use with large/open yards to give your pet the freedom he/she desires.
- The collar is waterproof.
- There is a safety feature included in the collar that will only allow only 20 seconds of static correction for 3 cycles if your pet happens to go outside the safe zone. Therefore, you will not have to worry about your pet being injured for being out of the zone for too long.
- There is very little equipment needed. Since the collar uses GPS technology there is no need for wires or a transmitter.
- You will not need to dig up your yard in order to install the invisible fence.
- Buyers have stated that the OCEVEN customer service team is excellent and willing to help.
- The price point is competitive and reasonable compared to other GPS wireless fence products.
- The product comes with 2 free dog toys!
Things to watch out for:
- As stated before, you will need to re-calibrate the GPS wireless fence every time you turn the collar back on.
- You will need to be careful about leaving your pet out during poor weather due to the GPS system.
- This is not meant to be used in small areas, indoors, near large buildings, or surrounded by trees.
- Buyers have noted that battery does not last very long on the collar.
- The shape of the containment zone is not customizable, it needs to be in the shape of a circle.
- This product is not recommended to be used with stubborn pets.
- This system only comes with one collar. You will need to purchase an additional one if you have more than one pet since the GPS is in the collar.
- The boundaries are not defined with a GPS wireless system like they are with an in-ground system. There can be variance with the boundaries which is dependent upon the weather, satellite signal, and calibration.