- 1 Product Name: PetSafe Wireless Fence (PIF-300)
- 2 How does it work?
- 3 What comes in the PetSafe pif-300 kit?
- 4 Are electric fence systems safe?
- 5 Benefits and Features of the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300W (Pros):
- 6 Problems with the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300 (Cons):
- 7 The MUST Know, True Facts about the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300:
- 8 What are the other products that we recommend?
- 9 What do consumers think of the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300 based on consumer reviews?
- 10 Check Carefully because…
- 11 What to watch out for with this product?
- 12 Crucial Tips:
- 13 Items to consider when picking an electric fence system:
- 14 Conclusion
What is it? The PetSafe Wireless Fence System (pif-300) is a revolutionary invisible fencing system. It can be moved anywhere and requires no wiring buried in ground to work. This system uses electromagnetic technology to communicate with a receiver worn by your dog to keep them from leaving a predetermined circular ½ acre boundary.
Why is it here? PetSafe produces many electric fence systems, but the PIF-300 is unique in that it is wireless and portable. This system is designed for self-setup within only 1-2 hours. It requires no cumbersome wiring to be placed, and can be relocated easily.
How does it work?
Pet criteria for use:
It is not recommended to use electric fence systems on young puppies. Dogs using this electric fence system should be older than 3 months of age and meet the system’s weight requirements for safest use. Dogs using receiver collars should weigh at least 8 lbs or more. The receiver collar is intended for dogs with neck size 6-28 inches inches around, and should fit the dog snugly without causing discomfort for the dog.
What comes in the PetSafe pif-300 kit?
- Wireless transmitter with power adapter-What you get: A transmitter with optional mounting kit included.
- Receiver collar with RFA-67D battery-What you get: one receiver collar with two RFA-67D batteries. The collar is lightweight at about 2.5 oz. The collar size is adjustable from 6-28 inches in diameter. These batteries are not chargeable, but easy to find low cost replacements on Amazon or battery store. Collar also includes two different sets of prongs for connection of receive to dog’s skin. A long set of two prongs for dogs with long hair, and one short set of two prongs for dogs with shorter hair length.
- Test light tool-what you get: A tool to place on receiver collar while testing boundary set by transmitter location before using collar and boundary with pet. It can also be used as a tool to take prongs on and off receiver collar.
- 50 boundary training flags-what you get: in-ground flags that are easy to place in soft ground for use to mark boundary created by transmitter location to verify satisfaction with boundary and train pet on boundary location
- Setup Instruction Manual and Training Guide
Are electric fence systems safe?
The shock emitted by electric fences should be uncomfortable, but not painful. The shock emitted from the PetSafe pif-300 system will not cause pain for you pet and is deemed safe. The shock from the pif-300 product is compared to shuffling your feet across the floor and touching a door knob. This system is safe for use on dogs as long as the dog using the system fits the size requirements of at least 8lbs or greater with well-fitting receive collar. Static shock systems are not recommended for puppies under 3 months. Puppies scare easily, and their early negative experiences can haunt them into adulthood. On the plus side, puppies are fast learners and can learn a boundary system quickly as long as they are not feeling scared or anxious.
An auto shutoff feature exists on this receiver, so should your dog leave the boundary area and receive continuous static shocks, the shocking will stop after about 35 seconds. The receive worn by dog is also waterproof, which is a necessary safety feature to protect your dog should it rain on them or they enter a body of water while wearing a receiver that is active. The transmitter, however, is not waterproof and must be kept in a cool, dry place. The transmitter will shut off automatically if you power goes out.
Keep in mind, a dog’s personality may limit effectiveness of electric fence system.
Electric fence systems do not work well for dogs who need more discipline than a progressive shock system, as they will disobey the stimulus and be at risk for running away. Be careful using an electric fence system on aggressive dogs, as they may become more aggressive or hostile towards owner with a shock system in place.
Whether or not electric fences are thought to be ethical is a debate that is up to your own judgement. Electric fence systems do use a negative reinforcement technique. Electric fence systems can frustrate dogs and instill fear and anxiety about receiving a shock. This can lead to aggressive behavior in a dog. The animal rights organization PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) does not recommend the use of electric fencing systems, as they prefer human-made boundaries for dogs.
To get a sense if your dog does ok with negative reinforcement techniques, try a citronella collar which emits a smell that is safe for dogs, but that they do not like. This can be used to teach dog where not to go. If your dog responds to a method like this without developing fear and aggression, they may tolerate a static shock system similarly. When introducing the electric fence system to your dog, explore it together. Use the training flags to physically mark the boundary for your dog. Walk the dog toward and past the flags to get a sense of what happens when boundary is crossed, and that returning to the desired area stops the negative stimulus. Give dog a break from the system if any signs of fear, anxiety, aggression, such as whining, acting frantic, excessive baking, tail between legs, hair standing on neck, or showing teeth occurs. Repeat training techniques frequently until the dog seems to get a sense of the system. Not all dogs acclimate to this system at the same pace, or with the same attitude; for many dogs this is a brand new stimulus and will take time for them to figure out.
Benefits and Features of the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300W (Pros):
- Quick and easy self setup within 1-2 hours; no time-sucking and labor intensive wires to bury in your yard.
- Training flags and included tool allow owner to test out boundary for their pets and train pet on boundary prior to use.
- This fence is indeed invisible and will not obstruct yard view or landscaping.
- The fence system is portable and very easy to relocate, so if you go on vacation, move to a new home, or want to change the boundary this can be done at any time.
- Having an invisible boundary means dog cannot attempt to dig under it like they may a physical barrier and destroy your yard.
- Can double ½ acre boundary buy purchasing an extra transmitter of same make and model.
- Unlimited amount of extra collars can be purchased and used with a single transmitter and boundary
- There are five different intensities of shock to be administered.
- Sound only stimulus option for receiver.
- Each receiver can be set to best fit pet using, even if pets using same boundary. I.E. if you have one small dog and one large dog with their own collars using system at the same time, they can have a different shock intensity set on their receivers to accommodate for size and sensitivity to shock.
- Pet owners do not have to worry about closing or locking fence gate.
- PetSafe offers a 1 year warranty on this fence system.
Problems with the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300 (Cons):
- Transmitter cannot be wet and must be kept inside, in a ground level room.
- Transmitter must be plugged into110 volt outlet.
- Transmitter will not work underground i.e. basement or through metal such as a garage door.
- This is a circular boundary of 180 ft in diameter; the boundary shape cannot be adjusted.
- This fence system works best with flat yards.
- This fence system is used to keep a pet within a desired area; it will not work well to keep pets out of wireless boundary.
- If a neighbor also has a pif-300 your boundary could become intertwined with theirs and your pet can travel to their yard without a receiver shock occurring.
- Wireless fence systems are not recommended in homes with metal siding or roofs as the electromagnetic technology will not transmit.
- Utilizing an electric fence system takes time and practice with dog to understand they system and boundary.
- Batteries included for receiver are not rechargeable; They are RFA-67 batteries and typically last 2-4 weeks.
- Dog wearing receiver may become frustrated as they can see neighbors and other dogs more easily, but cannot get to them.
- Dogs are visible to others who can enter yard and this can make them more vulnerable to wild animals, or other unleashed dogs.
- The electric fence causes discomfort if dog attempts to pass boundary. This is a negative reinforcement technique.
- A dog can leave the fencing area if he ignores his training and shock stimulus.
The MUST Know, True Facts about the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300:
- Receiver is waterproof. The receive can withstand getting wet from rain and even submersion in a pool or lake without shutting down or harming your pet. However, the transmitter, although portable, is not waterproof and must be kept indoors at all times.
- Unlimited number of dogs can utilize this system.This product has no limit to the number of receivers it can control. The system comes with one receiver collar, but additional collars can be purchased online through PetSafe directly or Amazon.
- Not intended for use with other receivers. This includes use with other PetSafe system receives as each system has unique frequencies. Efficacy of the PetSafe pif-300 Wireless Fence is not reliable with other receivers from other manufacturers. It is also not recommended to use receives from this fence system with other fence systems from different manufacturers as accuracy of system inter-mingling cannot be guaranteed.
- Containment boundary can be extended with the purchase of an additional transmitter. The 180 ft diameter circular boundary from one transmitter can be doubled to create a continuous 360 ft diameter boundary that is more oval in nature with purchase of additional transmitter of same make and model as the pif-300.
- Batteries in receivers are not rechargeable. The pif-300 includes 2 batteries for the included receiver. These are RFA-67 batteries that last about 2-4 weeks. Consumers report replacement batteries are inexpensive and easy to purchase online or in store. The receivers indicate with a light when the battery is low. Receivers should not be used if battery low.
- Dogs must be at least 8lbs in weight to use this product. As long as dogs meet these size requirements and receiver fits comfortably on their neck, they can use this product regardless of breed. Do keep in mind your dog’s personality when deciding if this boundary method will work for your dog. If they will ignore a shock stimulus, this is not a good fit.
- The PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300 electric fence is designed for dogs only. It is not recommended for use with other pets as it is unlikely they will meet the size criteria needed for appropriate use of product, and product has not been thoroughly tested on other subjects.
- The fence system is invisible, but wire must be buried. This product is intended for wire to be buried at least 1 inch underground for best use. Technically it will work if not buried, but then fencing system is not invisible and vulnerable to manipulation or damage by your pet, weather, and other animals.
What are the other products that we recommend?
-Innotek SD-2000 is a PetSafe product that is their most affordable system. It does use buried wires to contain pet in or out of a pre-set boundary. It costs around $80. It is a basic system, but has all the necessary items such as user manual, wire, transmitter, training flags, receiver collar and single use batteries. The Innotek system can cover ⅓ of an acre in any shape of boundary desired, however additional wire can be purchased for up to a 5 acre boundary. Innotek system works in a parallel fashion with a warning sound fist when pet nearing boundary and shock system that cannot be manually adjusted with regard to shock intensity. There is no sound only stimulus option for receiver, however. It can be used on dogs 10 lbs and heavier. It has an overstimulation protection if stimulus is occuring for longer than sixty seconds, stimulus will stop. An unlimited number of receivers can be purchased for use with additional dogs. There is a significantly longer time for setup required with a buried boundary system.
-PetSafe PIG00-13661 is an in ground fence system under 200 dollars. Setup is similar to the Innotek system. Given it is more expensive, it contains higher quality parts and equipment than cheaper systems. This system allows for use on dogs as small as 8lbs. It contains a lighter receiver to accommodate for smaller pet size. Unlimited receivers can be purchased for use of same boundary; this system comes with collar and receiver. A safety shock shut-off occurs after 30 seconds of stimulus. It is reviewed as very reliable and easy to install and incorporate into owner’s property. It includes fencing for up to a 500 foot area and can be used with an unlimited number of dogs. Additional wire to extend boundary can be purchased.
-PetSafe YardMax PIF00-11115 is known to be a more expensive system at a little over 300 dollars. The parts most utilized are rechargeable, including the receiver and transmitter, which is unique compared to the pif-300 system. This system can truly be brought anywhere given transmitter does not need to be plugged into an outlet. It contains one receiver. It is also compatible with a selection of other pet fencing systems. It is also an inground system intended for self setup that can be used on dogs as small as 5 lbs. Many dogs can use this system at once, and the level of shock received can be adjusted among 5 different levels.
What do consumers think of the PetSafe Wireless Fence pif-300 based on consumer reviews?
Check Carefully because…
- The pif-300 system is not suitable for all pets. Review age and weight of dog. Young puppies under 3 months and dogs less than 8lbs should not use this product.
- The receiver must fit your pet’s neck snug in order for the pif-300 system to work properly. The adjustable collar holding receiver fits dog’s with neck size 6-28 inches around.
- Not all pet behaviors work well with an electric fence system.
- The ½ acre wireless boundary is circular this is not adjustable and may not work with all yard layouts.
- Transmitter is center of circular boundary for this system, and must be kept inside away from large metal objects. It also must be plugged in to for fence system to work.
What to watch out for with this product?
- This is not a unique wireless and portable system, but is pricey.
- Boundary can be affected by large metal objects passing such as cars.
- Batteries for receiver are not rechargeable and last 2-4 weeks on average.
- Product is intended for self setup.
- If your neighbor also has a PetSafe pif-300 system your boundaries may interfere with each other creating one large boundary.
- For use on dogs only.
- Do no setup or test the fence while receiver is on your dog.
- Allow your dog to get used to wearing receiver prior to use with electric fence system.
- Batteries need to be charged and may need to be replaced periodically. Do not put the collar on dog if low battery light flashing on receiver.
- No dog should wear a receiver for more than 8-12 hours per day.
- Changing the boundary or transmitter location means re-training your dog. They may be confused where they can and cannot go.
- Do not leave dog unsupervised when utilizing receiver outdoors with electric fencing system.
- Take the collar off if not using boundary ie in house, going for a ride or walk.
- Keep transmitter and receivers out of reach from children.
- Give yourself time to understand the setup instructions in the included manual prior to starting setup; you can also use online videos which are available on YouTube to avoid frustration while setting up or call PetSafe for help.
- Transmitter should be set up as center of circular boundary.
- Transmitter must be kept indoors, out of reach from children, and away from metal objects such as appliances, garage door.
- Transmitter does not need to be mounted to the wall.
Items to consider when picking an electric fence system:
- Will it fit my dog? What are the dimensions of the neck strap for the receiver. How old, and how big does my dog have to be to use this system?
- Do I have time and patience to acclimate my dog to an electric fence system? It is unpredictable how long this could take.
- Is the system safe for my dog? IE waterproof, not to heavy, batteries with full charge?
- Will my property allow for an electric fence system? Do I have metal buildings, enough room, or too much traffic that will interfere with my system?
- Where will I set up the transmitter? Am I getting a portable transmitter that can be charged, or something that must stay plugged in?
- Will my system allow me to correct the shock level based on my dog’s response or needs?
People using electric fence systems adore their pets and want to keep them safe. The PetSafe brand of electric fencing systems is a trusted, well-known brand that is recommended. The pif-300 system is cutting edge with regard to its wireless feature, near instant setup and portability. The receives have 5 adjustable levels for shock emitted to pet and even a tone only mode so pet only receives a noise stimulus. The high price for this system does reflect the technology included and user friendly features at around $300.
Installation of this system is instant. It is as simple as plugging in the transmitter. It is wireless, meaning no digging up yard or spending hours planning where wire can be placed safely. However it will take 1-2 hours to test the system and assure it covers desired boundary before using on pet. There is also time needed to train pet to utilize system, so they do not become fearful of it. PetSafe is a very present manufacturer with online tools and free consumer support line to answer any system questions.
The positives seem to outweigh the negatives for consumers overall. The ability to take the system anywhere such as vacation and, weekends camping is highly appreciated. Keep in mind, portability can be limited somewhat as transmitter does need to be plugged for system to work. The quality of product is not questioned by consumers. Their is some sensitivity noted with the wireless boundary and receiver use for some consumers. Overall, people love the fast setup and modifications that can be made to the system.