The PetLove Wireless Outdoor System is an invisible outdoor fence that utilizes GPS satellites instead of radio frequency to create boundaries for your dog. It has a large coverage area and works well in open spaces. The installation is usually seamless, but there are some precautions that need to be taken when purchasing a new invisible fence system.
How does it work?
The PetLove Wireless Dog Collar works like other GPS wireless fence systems. It is certainly important to understand how the system works before deciding which system to purchase. The PetLove GPS Dog Collar comes with the receiver, a TPU belt, contact points, a test bulb, a 5V charger, a USB charging cable, and an instruction manual. One of the benefits of a GPS wireless fence is you will not need to outline your yard with any type of wire, flags, or receivers for it to work. The only equipment you need is the collar itself. There are no transmitters, base units, in-ground fencing, or wire required for set up. The collar uses satellite GPS technology to create an invisible outdoor fence your pet.
Even though there is minimal installation required, it is important to ensure proper training for your pets to utilize the system without confusing them. It is also important to take the size of your dog into consideration when choosing the level of static correction. The PetLove Wireless Dog Collar comes with a range of static correction levels, which includes a training mode that only utilizes a warning tone. The static corrections levels can be set to work with small, medium, or large dogs. Typically, the larger your pet the higher the static correction level you need, but since each dog is different it is important to start with the lower settings to see how your pet reacts. The static correction gets more intense as your pet gets closer to the boundary. It begins with a warning beep, then a slight static correction, and eventually will get up to the threshold of the setting that you choose for your pet if they continue moving toward the boundary. The PetLove Dog Collar states that the collar has a 12-15-hour battery life and takes 2-3 hours to fully charge.
Check carefully because…
- With the PetLove Outdoor System it is important to pay attention to the weather and surroundings before you let your pet in the yard. The GPS signal may get lost if there are dark clouds, rain, or if located in a wooded area. If the GPS signal is lost the collar will shut off and not provide any static correction to your pet if he/she gets close to the boundary. To ensure that your pet does not get confused, it will be best to keep your pet inside during bad weather. A GPS wireless fence may not be appropriate for your space if you are in a wooded area or surrounded by large buildings. There are other types of invisible fence systems that may be better suited for your yard if you are in an area that cannot acquire adequate GPS signals.
- Since the GPS technology is located on the collar it only works for one pet at a time. If you have two pets that will be outside together you will need to purchase two full systems. This technology can become expensive if you have several pets that will be in your yard at the same time utilizing the wireless fence.
- It is important to note that the PetLove Wireless Dog Collar is not a GPS tracker or tracking system. It is easily confused, but that is a different use of GPS satellites that will track where your pet is by connecting the collar to your mobile phone or transmitter. Instead, the GPS satellites are used to create a wireless invisible fence for your pet by setting up a radius and providing an alert to the receiver (collar) if your dog approaches the boundary—it will not track your dog’s location.
THE MUST KNOW, TRUE FACTS ABOUT PETLOVE ANTI-LOST OUTDOOR SYSTEM DOG COLLAR
- The PetLove Dog Collar may be difficult to use if this is your first experience with an invisible fence system—especially a GPS wireless fence. The instructions that come with the PetLove GPS Dog Collar are minimal and some say hard to understand. Even though these types of wireless fences are popular for their ease of set up, if you are unfamiliar with the GPS system it may be difficult.
- The collar has a memory feature that will remember the radius and center point that you set up for your pet. This is a nice feature to have in a GPS wireless fence. Other GPS collars require recalibration with every use. It is important to note that if you reset the PetLove Dog Collar, or if the battery dies, you will need to reset the boundaries.
- The pricing for this system is competitive with other GPS wireless collars. The current price is around $100 for the entire system. The PetLove Dog Collar is more of a basic GPS wireless fence. There are more elaborate GPS wireless fence systems that also come with GPS trackers, which can be double or triple in price compared to the PetLove Dog Collar.
What to watch out for with this product?
- There have been a few negative reviews from buyers saying that they cannot get the system set up at all. This is not the case for every purchase, and it is unclear what caused the system not to work. It is difficult to say whether there are defective units or if the buyers are not using the system correctly, but it is noteworthy. The good news is there is there is a 90-day return policy, so if you are unhappy with your purchase you can return it.
- The PetLove Dog Collar advertises “precise control” with the boundaries. However, the instruction manual states that there is a +/- 10 meters (give or take) with the boundaries you set. This is true with most GPS wireless fences, but the advertisement is a bit misleading.
- The collar is rechargeable and usually contains a 12-15-hour battery life. There have been numerous complaints about the battery life diminishing over time. This is important to know if you plan on having your pet outside for a long period of time.
- It is important to make sure the PetLove Dog Collar fits snug on your pet. If it is too loose your pet may not notice the static correction. Be sure to check this before you let your dog outside freely.
- Training is always the most essential part of implementing an invisible fence system. The PetLove Outdoor System does not come with visible or training boundaries. It may be helpful to set up a visible boundary for your dog (flags or a temporary fence) until he/she becomes familiar with the area. Without establishing the boundary for your pet, he/she may become confused if he/she hasn’t had any experience with static correction before. It may be beneficial to search for training videos online if this is your first time using an invisible fence system with static correction for your pet. That way you can have a better understanding on the way to help your pet understand his/her new safe zone.
- There is no battery life display or gauge to show how much battery life is left in the collar—the only warning given is a beeping tone when the collar gets to the point of needing charged. Therefore, it will be important to charge the collar each night or after each use to ensure the battery life will be able to hold up while your pet is outside.
Benefits and Features:
- The PetLove Dog Collar is both waterproof and rechargeable.
- There is a memory function in the collar that will remember the boundaries you previously set (if the collar is not reset). This is a feature that stands out among other GPS wireless fence systems.
- The installation is typically seamless and not time consuming.
- Since the collar is portable it is great to take camping, to the beach, and other vacation spots while still allowing your pet to have the freedom he/she desires. It is still important to train them to understand the new area’s boundaries.
- There is very little equipment that comes with the PetLove Dog Collar. There are no wires or transmitters, and you do not have to worry about tearing up your yard to put an invisible fence in place.
- There is a large radius range of 20-800 meters.
- The PetLove Dog Collar comes with a lifetime warranty and a 90-day return policy.
- The warning tone is loud so you can ensure your pet will hear it before the static correction takes place. This will also help you during the training process.
- This product comes with an “automatic protect” feature that goes into effect if your pet leaves the safe zone. This will only allow 20 seconds of static correction in intervals. There will be a minute in between static corrections to be sure our pet is not injured due too many static corrections.
- The collar eases into static corrections by first providing your pet with a just a warning tone. If your pet doesn’t move or continues to get closer to the boundary it will begin giving static corrections. It will start with a slight static correction and will continue to become more intense as the dog approaches the boundary. However, it will never go higher than the level that you set for your pet. This will help ensure that your pet makes an association with the warning tone, which will lead to fewer static corrections.
- This can be used for small, medium, or large dogs with the adjustable static corrections and an adjustable collar size.
- Even though the radius has some give/take with the PetLove GPS Outdoor Fence System is more accurate than most radio frequency wireless fence systems.
Things to watch out for:
- Even though the set-up is easy, the instructions that come with this collar are minimal. Some buyers have mentioned that they can tell that the directions have been translated and are hard to understand.
- The PetLove Dog Collar has only been listed on Amazon for about a year, so there are not a lot of reviews to truly critique this brand.
- The battery life is notorious for diminishing with time. The longer you own the system, the lower the battery life gets. This is true with a lot of technology, but this battery begins to decline after a few months.
- The collar will remember the previous boundaries, but you will have to be careful not to let the batteries die or the collar reset or else you will need to recalibrate the radius.
- The boundaries are not permanent or clearly defined. Just like other GPS fence systems they can move a little, so it is difficult for your dog to truly understand the boundaries.
- The GPS will not connect to satellites in poor weather conditions.
- Some buyers have stated that the product never worked, and they weren’t even able to get it set up.
- Sometimes it takes a while to acquire a GPS signal.
- The PetLove Dog Collar will automatically stop working if the GPS signal is lost. This is meant to protect your dog from unwanted static corrections, but this also means it can be lost and your dog may not receive a static correction when it is necessary.
- The boundaries are not customizable in shape—it can only be set up in the shape of a circle.
- There is no battery display on the collar to show how much battery life is left.
- There has been some criticism of sporadic and unwanted static corrections for a few dogs. This seems to happen if they go underneath something that will block the GPS signal.