Some Shih Tzu owners bathe their dogs soon after mating because heat cycle and mating can leave them dirty!
But they forget to take these critical facts below like dog’s mood, stress level, ideal water temperature, type of shampoo into account.
Avoiding these facts can actually be harmful to your Shih Tzu!
Let’s go over why you should carefully consider whether to bathe your Shih Tzu after mating…
- 1 Can A Shih Tzu Take A Bath After Mating?
- 2 Should You Bathe A Female Shih Tzu After Mating? Is It Essential?
- 3 Is It Safe To Bathe A Female Shih Tzu After Mating?
- 4 Should You Bathe A Male Shih Tzu After Mating? Is It Essential?
- 5 Is It Safe To Bathe A Male Shih Tzu After Mating?
- 6 When Should A Shih Tzu Bathe After Mating?
- 7 Can Shih Tzu Take A Bath After Mating In The Winter?
- 8 What Are The Risks?
- 9 What Are The Benefits?
- 10 Can A Shih Tzu Bathe At Night After Mating?
- 11 Should A Shih Tzu Bathe In Hot, Warm, Lukewarm, Or Cold Water After Mating?
- 12 What Is The Best Shampoo To Use On A Shih Tzu After Mating? (What Are The Ingredients To Avoid)
- 13 What Grooming Products Should Be Avoided When Bathing A Shih Tzu After Mating?
- 14 When Should You Not Bathe A Shih Tzu After Mating?
Can A Shih Tzu Take A Bath After Mating?
A Shih Tzu can bathe after mating using lukewarm water and a gentle chemical free shampoo. As long as it’s not tired or stressed a gentle bath is recommended. A female Shih Tzu who looks irritated, tired or stressed after mating should not be bathed immediately! But given time to rest and recover.
Should You Bathe A Female Shih Tzu After Mating? Is It Essential?
There is a myth that bathing a female dog during their heat cycle can make the uncomfortable effects of it worse, but that is just that – a myth.
Bathing after mating should be just fine. It can actually be quite beneficial for your dog as both mating and their heat cycle will leave them dirty. Plus some dogs just enjoy the bath!
Here are some things to keep in mind if you’re going to bathe your dog after mating or during their heat cycle:
- Shampoos with harmful chemicals can be irritating, so be careful which one you choose and avoid the genital region with the shampoo while washing.
- Make sure to use lukewarm water, anything too hot or too cold could be upsetting or uncomfortable for your Shih Tzu’s skin.
- Be very gentle and continue to avoid or wash with great care around the genital region. Both when washing and drying, as it could irritate the already sensitive area.
But most important of all, remember that not all dogs like baths. So if a bath would cause a lot of stress or anxiety, it may be better to skip it. A bath is in no way essential for mating.
Is It Safe To Bathe A Female Shih Tzu After Mating?
This ultimately depends on your Shih Tzu. If your Shih Tzu likes or at the very least tolerates having baths and you are gentle, it should be completely fine.
If your dog doesn’t like baths though, it could be very stressful. Obviously stressing a dog out is not good for them so try your best to avoid giving them a bath in this case.
Should You Bathe A Male Shih Tzu After Mating? Is It Essential?
It does not really affect your dog, or the mating cycle if you are to give your male Shih Tzu a bath. So, no, it is not essential. It may be nice to get the dirt and stink off though.
Is It Safe To Bathe A Male Shih Tzu After Mating?
This really depends on your Shih Tzu, if he is agitated or hates bathing then he is probably going to be a little feisty about it.
Otherwise it should be completely fine as long as you follow the other precautions surrounding bathing outlined in this article.
When Should A Shih Tzu Bathe After Mating?
There is no real rule regarding when to bathe your Shih Tzu after mating so you should decide based on your dog’s behaviour and what you know about them.
If your dog wouldn’t be stressed out by a bath and you have a gentle shampoo you can use, there wouldn’t be any harm in bathing.
For males you can bathe them straight after mating if they are comfortable with it, for the females it would be best to give them a few hours to relax first.
Mating for females can be a stressful and sometimes painful process so that is why it is best to give them some alone time before you try to bathe them.
Can Shih Tzu Take A Bath After Mating In The Winter?
If your dog has a healthy coat there should be no problem bathing them in the winter. Maybe have your water a bit (very slightly) warmer.
If you are worried about your dog getting too cold you can dry them off gently with a soft towel and let them dry inside. Make sure you use a towel you don’t mind getting stained.
If you wash your dog during the winter be sure to use conditions to off-set the winter dryness.
What Are The Risks?
There are no real risks to bathing your dog after mating except perhaps upsetting them.
However stress is not to be underplayed as it can be really bad for your dogs both physical and mental wellbeing.
What Are The Benefits?
There are some benefits to bathing your dog after mating, for example:
- Washing off any saliva or blood that might be present.
- Conditioning your dog’s coat will help brush out any matting in their coat.
- Depending on what your dogs like, it could help relieve some of their stress and tension.
- For the female, it could help ease any pain that may have been caused by mating.
Can A Shih Tzu Bathe At Night After Mating?
The time at which you’re bathing your dog isn’t as important as how you’re doing it and whether or not your Shih Tzu is happy.
As long as you’re gentle and use the right products, bathing your dog at night after mating should be completely fine.
Should A Shih Tzu Bathe In Hot, Warm, Lukewarm, Or Cold Water After Mating?
You should be bathing your dog in lukewarm water.
If the water is warm or hot, you could end up making your Shih Tzu uncomfortable or irritating their skin, remember that dogs aren’t used to taking hot showers like us.
If the water on the hand is too cold, it could also make your dog uncomfortable and irritate the skin, while also having the possibility of getting your dog sick from being too cold.
What Is The Best Shampoo To Use On A Shih Tzu After Mating? (What Are The Ingredients To Avoid)
There aren’t really any hard and fast rules about shampoos that would be bad for dogs that are currently breeding. They should just be gentle as to not irritate
Try to use hypo-allergenic or natural shampoos that will have more gentle ingredients.
Here is a list of some harsh ingredients to avoid:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Isopropyl Alcohol
Also remember to avoid parabens, which can be seen on the label as methyl, ethyl, propyl and butyl parabens.
Some highly reviewed natural and hypo-allergenic shampoos include:
- Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
- Paws & Pals Natural Oatmeal Shampoo
- Grrr Dog Shampoo Bar
- Underwater Dogs Soap Free Dog Shampoo
- Virbac Epi-Soothe Shampoo
- Dermagic Sensitive Skin Dog Shampoo Bar
What Grooming Products Should Be Avoided When Bathing A Shih Tzu After Mating?
Avoiding anything with harsh or irritating chemicals is absolutely essential while your Shih Tzu is still in their heat cycle or breeding.
If you need to give your dog a brush or trim, you should be extra careful and gentle particularly with the females as they can be a little more feisty during this time.
When a female dog is in their heat cycles, they can become very moody and hate being touched, so it is important to be extra patient and kind to them.
During this time the female dog’s vulva may swell up and be a bit tender so be extra careful when trimming around the sanitary areas.
When Should You Not Bathe A Shih Tzu After Mating?
You should not bathe your dog after mating if you don’t have any gentle or natural shampoos on hand.
You should also not give them a bath if doing so would cause them to be anxious or stressed.