What are the Nutritional Needs of Toy Breeds vs Other Breeds [Medium and Large breeds]?
When thinking about food, I like to use the old adage, “Garbage in, garbage out.” Meaning, if you do not consume quality food, with the appropriate nutrients, your energy levels and health will be garbage – worthless. This concept applies to all living beings, especially your dog. To ensure a long, healthy life, you need to understand the best ways to feed your dog.
Best Dog Foods for Toy Breeds
1 Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food Best Dog Food to Boost Your Dog’s Immune System
Carbs: 59% (4% from fiber)
Vitamins and Minerals: Contains Blueberries, Peas, Carrots, Flaxseed, Cranberries, Sweet Potatoes, Calcium, Phosphorous, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Omega 6 Fatty Acids, and Glucosamine
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Contains grains (Brown rice and barley)
AAFCO approval: Yes
Most reviews of Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breen Dry Dog Food are from raving dog owners who love it. They love the effect on their dogs’ skin, nails, hair, energy, and even bowl movements. However, there are some reports that the formula upsets some dogs’ stomachs. One reviewer reported that even when mixed with a wet food, her dog would not eat this food.
Although this product does not contain corn, it does still include some grains for a filler. Most dogs respond better to whole grains such as brown rice or barley, but dogs with sensitive allergies may still have reactions to this dog food.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food
The main ingredients of this dog food are deboned chicken and chicken meal. While it does contain some grains, they are all whole grains, such as brown rice and barley. It does not contain harmful grains, such as corn. This dog food can feed a dog which weighs up to 30 pounds and is a good choice for picky eaters due to being made with natural ingredients. This dog food is uniquely designed to aid your toy or small dog’s nutrition plan, specifically helping nails and hair grow strong and healthy, promote and restore skin and fur, and supporting good dental hygiene. This formula will provide your dog with much needed energy throughout the day
While most of the reviews are positive, there have been several recalls and there was a class action lawsuit about lead in different Blue Buffalo products. While it appears that the company has made every effort to correct the formula and improve their processes, there is still room for some doubt after the company went through such a rough patch.
This dog food has experienced recent price increases and ingredient changes. While the reviews are mostly good, some of the ingredients are now sourced from China posing health risks to some dogs. Those who had a subscription for this dog food found that instead of being shipped every 30 days, it was sometimes shipped as often as every 20 days. This caused some users to cancel their subscriptions because they had too much dog food that could go bad before it was used. Users also complained that the bags did not contain a zipper, so the dog food often goes bad before a small dog can finish the whole bag. It may be wise to purchase the 6- pound bag if you have a smaller dog to prevent this from happening.
- Some dogs seem to have an aversion to the LifeSource Bits, which causes them to eat the kibble but leave the LifeSource Bits in their bowls. If this happens, try to mix the dry dog food with a wet food or sprinkle a little bit of warm water on them. The dog food is cold- formed to maintain its high level of nutrition, so either of these options should increase the appeal of the food to your dog.
- Many small dog owners reported that their dog didn’t like this food, refused to eat it, or experienced sickness after switching. It is recommended to try a sample for your dog before buying a whole bag to see how your dog reacts to this formula.
- Available in 6- or 15-pound bags, which can be placed on a recurring subscription to save you both time and money
- Specially formulated for your energetic small and toy dog breeds
- The pieces are designed for smaller jaws and unique dental needs of small and toy dog breeds up to 30 pounds
- The Life Protection Formula is supplemented by glucosamine which promotes joint mobility
- Added nutrients reinforces your pup’s immune system
- Some dogs experienced GI problems, such as vomiting or diarrhea, after switching to this dog food
- Some reviews report that the dog loved the food, but it gave them terrible flatulence
- There have been several recalls in the past of Blue Buffalo dog foods
- No zipper to reseal the bag after it has been opened
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food is a reasonably priced dog food for your small or toy breed. It is all-natural and contains meat, fruit, and vegetables. It only contains whole grains and is supplemented with vitamins and minerals to aid immune system needs, dental needs, skin and coat needs, and weight management. The tiny pieces are perfect for small dogs’ mouths and jaws.
2 Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food Natural + Mid range priced + Quality + Dry Dog Food for Puppies
Proteins: 27.0 minimum
Fats: 16.0 minimum
Carbs: 5.0 maximum
Vitamins and Minerals: DHA Percentage: 0.10 minimum
Calcium Percentage: 1.3 minimum
Phosphorus Percentage: 1.0 minimum
Choline: 2,750 mg/kg minimum
ARA* Percentage: 0.04 minimum
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* Percentage: 0.75 minimum
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* Percentage: 3.0 minimum
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: none
AAFCO approval: Yes
BLUE Life Protection Formula reports that it contains no artificial preservatives. An important thing to remember when reading ingredient lists is that all preservatives are created equally. BLUE Life Protection Formula lists no artificial flavoring or ingredients on the packaging. This product contains no chicken or other poultry byproduct meal, corn, wheat, or soy products.
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) provides regulatory advice concerning pet feed to government agencies and states. A reputable brand of dog feed will list a nutrient profile is based on and compliant with their recommendations. The AAFCO recommends including the guaranteed analysis on the pet food packaging in order to substantiate the quality of the pet food and compliance with state laws regulating pet food. Nutrients from the guaranteed analysis that have an asterisk (*) listed after them are not required by the AAFCO. These nutrients are added by BLUE Life Protection Formula to increase the effectiveness of the blend.
For most dog owners, dogs are not simply pets, they are members of our families. This means that it is just as important to carefully consider your options for feeding your dog as it is to choose food for your human family. The BLUE pet food line was founded by a family of dog owners to meet the health needs of their own pets. Because of this, the creators of BLUE are familiar with a dog owner’s desire to provide their furry friends with the best possible nutrition as well as the struggle to find a brand that is also a realistic option. BLUE Life Protection Formula will provide your puppy with the hearty taste of home cooked whole food with the nutritional supplements of professionally manufactured dog food, giving them the ultimate combination. The BLUE Life Protection Formula is a brand that can be trusted to provide only the highest quality product produced in the United States of America.
BLUE Life Protection Formula for puppies is a wholesome brand of dog food that will provide your puppy with the diet essential to promote healthy growth and development by combining their traditional formula varieties with nutrient dense LifeSource Bits kibble pieces. All BLUE dog food contains genuine meat as the first ingredient listed, paired with complimentary whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. These ingredients are supplemented with many necessary vitamins and minerals that aid in brain, muscle, vision, and joint health and development. This unique formula provides all of the essential nutritional requirements for your puppy up until they are twelve months old.
BLUE Life Protection Formula dog food is a quality, high protein mid-range priced dry dog food for toy breed dogs. BLUE Life Protection Formula provides a reasonably priced and thoughtfully produced product. BLUE Life Protection Formula is a high protein kibble made with quality ingredients created with toy breeds in mind. This food is crafted to meet the specific dietary needs of toy breed dogs.
Contrary to the common assumption that any type of dog food is suitable for all breeds and sizes, nutritional needs vary across breeds and sizes. Most toy breeds have nutritional needs that differ significantly from the dietary requirements of their larger counterparts. When you are feeding a puppy toy breed, it necessitates becoming even more intentional when choosing food for your pet. Be sure to seek the advice of your pet’s veterinarian as you are going through the process of dog food shopping.
Toy breeds typically have a faster metabolism than larger breeds, which comes as a surprise to many dog owners. Due to their higher metabolic rate, toy breeds need to consume more calories than the average large breed. This does not necessarily mean that toy breeds need to be fed larger portions than larger dogs receive. A toy breed’s higher metabolic rate requires that the dog food for toy breeds should contain more calories in a size and age appropriate serving. In other words, food for toy breeds must more be calorie and nutrient dense than the typical varieties of dog food. For puppies who are continuously growing throughout the first year of their lives, the amount of food directly corresponds to weight. Puppies begin by eating many small meals throughout the day. As the puppy grows older, the number of meals throughout the day decrease while the amount of food get during each meal increases. BLUE Life Protection Formula provides a helpful chart with a breakdown of exactly how much you should be feeding your dog based on size and age of the puppy.
Additionally, toy breeds have a propensity to suffer from hypoglycemia, commonly referred to as low blood sugar. Toy breeds are at the most risk for developing this condition as puppies, but owners of adult dogs should still be aware of the possibility of hypoglycemia. Because BLUE Life Protection Formula is a balanced and natural dog food, it may aid in providing your puppy with the dietary requirements needed to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Remember, this is dependent on several factors in addition to food such as breed, activity level, age, and other possible risk factors. Therefore, it is recommended to discuss your dog’s individual needs with their veterinarian, as they will be able to give you the most accurate advice concerning dog food that is based on your puppy’s health history.
Puppies have specific nutritional requirements due to the rapid growth that occurs during the first year of their lives. While most puppies have similarities in dietary needs, they do vary based on breed and size. It is important that you read all labels on the food that you are considering feeding to your puppy to ensure that it is suitable to their individual dietary needs. Additionally, be sure to discuss your puppy’s dietary needs with your puppy’s veterinarian. Your puppy’s veterinarian will be familiar with your puppy and the variables that directly affect them. These could include breed, size, age, and existing health conditions and allergies. All of those factors will influence choosing the appropriate puppy food.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food
BLUE Life Protection Formula meets the nutritional requirements for puppies by supplying ingredients that support puppy growth in six areas: neurological development, muscular growth, skeletal system development, dental hygiene, fur and skin health, and healthy immunity development. The primary method of providing these benefits is through added DHA and ARA, which are nutrients puppies traditionally intake through nursing.
Puppies require a combination of protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and water in order to promote optimal development. BLUE Life Protection Formula provides these essential nutrients through a combination of meat, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and a careful combination of natural supplementary nutrients.
BLUE Life Protection Formula for puppies is intended to be used throughout the entire first year of your puppy’s life. This first year is the most critical period of development for a puppy. It is crucial that puppies receive the nutritional support of BLUE Life Protection Formula until the puppy’s veterinarian recommends transitioning to an adult product at around one year of age. At that point, BLUE Life Protection Formula offers a variety of options for adult dogs, with some intended especially for toy breeds. Transitioning to another compatible BLUE Life Protection Formula product will allow for continuity in nutritional coverage and a choice of already familiar flavors.
Watch for any changes in your dog’s behavior or digestion after switching to a new brand of dog food. While uncommon, food changes can initially upset a dog’s digestion. If you notice that your dog appears to be acting or feeling different after switching food, please contact your dog’s veterinarian for help.
- After deciding to make the switch to BLUE Life Protection Formula for your toy breed, it is important to introduce the new food gradually. A sudden change in a dog’s diet can cause digestive issues, particularly in toy breeds. When you begin to feed BLUE Life Protection Formula to your dog, start by mixing it with a greater amount of the current dog food, gradually increasing the ratio of BLUE Life Protection Formula until it is the sole food that you are feeding your dog.
- BLUE recommends introducing the BLUE Life Protection Formula over a period of about two weeks. Begin with twenty-five percent BLUE Life Protection Formula and seventy-five percent of your puppy’s current kibble for days one through four, fifty percent of each for days five through eight, seventy-five percent of BLUE Life Protection Formula for days nine through eleven, and finally, between days twelve and fourteen, transition to one hundred percent BLUE Life Protection Formula.
- BLUE Life Protection Formula is an easily accessible dog food that provides the high quality nutrition of a gourmet dog food without the extra hassle and expense typically required. Available through online marketplaces, pet stores, and supermarkets, BLUE Life Protection Formula is widely available for most pet owners.
- BLUE Life Protection Formula is intentional about crafting a kibble that meets the nutritional needs of toy breed puppies. The formula boasts two dynamic flavor combinations of a chicken and brown rice option and a lamb and oatmeal option. The first ingredient in both flavors is meat, either the chicken or lamb. Both combinations include whole grains such as brown rice, oatmeal, alfalfa meal, whole ground barley, and barley grass. Starches consist of both potatoes and sweet potatoes. Additionally, BLUE Life Protection Formula contains a variety of fruits and vegetables such as pumpkin, blueberries, carrots, and pomegranates. The full list of satisfying, delicious ingredients can be found directly on the BLUE Life Protection Formula packaging.
- The primary feature of BLUE Life Protection Formula are the LifeSource Bits that it contains. These unique pieces of kibble are created at low temperatures to ensure optimal effectiveness. According to BLUE, these LifeSource Bits provide minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins designed to promote the growth and immune health of puppies.
- BLUE Life Protection Formula comes in six, fifteen, and thirty-pound bags. This ensures freshness and allows you to choose the amount that will be easily stored. This is an especially helpful feature for owners of toy breed puppies, as these dogs will likely consume a lesser quantity of food than their larger counterparts.
- BLUE Life Protection Formula kibble is a small size that is appropriate for most toy breeds and specially oriented to suit the small size of a puppy. Kibble size is a crucial element of dog food to consider as it is a factor in determining how easily digestible a type of dog food is. Kibble size that is too large can present a choking hazard to smaller dogs. Oversized pieces of dog food can also result in food that is a difficult shape and hard for small dogs to chew. For puppies, the food can easily be moistened with a bit of water to provide additional ease in eating. Consumers of BLUE Life Protection Formula can rest assured that the food was made with their pet’s size in mind.
- While BLUE Life Protection Formula is a thoughtfully blended feed, there are a couple of potential problems. The first potential problem is cost. While BLUE Life Protection Formula comes in as a mid-range price and is not as expensive as some comparable gourmet dog foods, it may not fit all budgets. Do not let that discourage you from trying BLUE Life Protection Formula to experience the difference that a quality dog food brand provides.
- An issue that has affected some consumers of BLUE Life Protection Formula is irregularities in some of the batches of food purchased through third-party sellers. Some dog owners have reported that the pieces of kibble are larger in size when bought online versus when they have purchased the product in store. Other customers have reported a few isolated instances of their dogs vomiting after eating the food, despite the fact that the dogs were already eating BLUE Life Protection Formula. Check to make sure that the vendor selling the product is reputable and is a direct liaison for BLUE Life Protection Formula. Prior to feeding BLUE Life Protection Formula, briefly inspect the product to confirm that it is the genuine prospect and that it is the correct BLUE Life Protection Formula life stage for your puppy. If your dog experiences adverse effects, consult the veterinarian.
- The other concern that owners of toy breeds may have is that this particular product from BLUE Life Protection Formula may not be compatible with all dietary restrictions and preferences. This product is specifically formulated to meet the requirements of a typical toy breed puppy’s needs. This particular blend may not be the right choice for adult and senior dogs, or for dogs with certain health conditions. Once again, please speak with your dog’s veterinarian if they have any health concerns.
- The average dog requires a well-balanced diet including protein, whole grains, and a rainbow of fruits and vegetables. BLUE Life Protection Formula fulfills all of these categories as it contains natural whole grains with no wheat products. Some dog owners may prefer to avoid grains altogether. BLUE Life Protection Formula does offer other blends including grain-free, adult, and senior dog blends which may be a suitable alternative. Be sure to discuss food options and any concerns with your toy breed’s veterinarian.
Puppies have a lot to accomplish during their first twelve months of life between house training, learning commands, growing, and playing. Puppies need a food regimen that can keep up with their active development and lifestyle. Combine the needs of a puppy with the potential concerns that come with loving a toy breed, and that gives a dog owner much to consider. Owners of toy breed dogs have specific preferences and needs unique to their dogs when it comes to choosing a suitable diet. With a plethora of options on the market all being touted as the key to a high quality of life, it can be difficult to decipher which brand of food is right for your dog.
BLUE Life Protection Formula with real chicken and brown rice or lamb and oatmeal is the best mid-priced, high protein dog food available. BLUE Life Protection Formula makes it easy to provide your furry friend with a quality, natural diet that can develop and adjust with your dog. With a carefully crafted formula that meets the nutritional needs of most toy breeds, BLUE Life Protection Formula is a kibble that dog owners can trust.
3 Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Small Dogs Grain-free, high-protein dog food, filled with lots of real meat and vegetables.
Proteins: Contains not less than 36%.
Fats: Contains not less than 15% (Omega 3 & 6 Fatty acids).
Carbs: Contains not more than 5% fiber.
Vitamins and Minerals: Contains Calcium, Phosphorus, Vitamin E, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, and Total Lactic Acid Microorganisms.
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Contains no wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Non GMO.
AAFCO approval: Yes
The MUST Know, True Facts about Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Small Dogs
AAFCO approval: Yes
Wellness Core Natural Grain-free Dry Dog Food for Small Breeds is a healthy and holistic food for sensitive dogs. It is made in the USA. It lacks the common allergen, gluten, which is a frequent source of tummy trouble for dogs. It is formulated for adult dogs that are over a year old. It is not intended for dogs who are pregnant or nursing mothers.
Dogs, who are natural carnivores, are treated to a very meaty meal when they eat this food. The first three ingredients are deboned chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal. What it doesn’t include are the bad things—fillers like wheat, corn, and soy, or lower quality meat by-products. It’s no wonder that many dogs enjoy this high in protein food wholeheartedly. This food contains 80% more protein than traditional dog foods that contain grains.
This food also includes plenty of vitamins and minerals. Unlike many other dog foods, many of these nutrients come from the kinds of fruits and vegetables that you would eat yourself, like spinach, carrots, parsley, apples, blueberries, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and peas. These important nutrients will help your pet by encouraging healthy cellular activity and resistance to disease.
The Omega 3 and 6 Fatty acids are really good for your dog’s skin, teeth and bones. Many reviewers have found that after a short time on this food their dog’s coat is shinier and healthier looking, and their teeth are cleaner and breath is fresher. The Omega 3 and 6 Fatty acids are derived from Salmon Oil and Flaxseed.
The probiotics and prebiotics in this product help keep your dogs digestive tract moving smoothly and efficiently. They can prevent constipation, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and generally improve the health and wellness of your dog.
The 12 lb bag for this product used to come with a Ziploc seal, but they have recently eliminated that feature. It is important to keep your dry food sealed in a container in order to maintain freshness.
With this, or any other food, give it a smell before feeding your dog. If it smells different, check the expiration date on the package and keep your eyes open for mold.
- While there are natural variances in size and shape, each kibble is a triangular shape, approximately 10 mm high, and 10 mm wide. If your dog has trouble chewing chunks of food, you can lightly moisten them with water or chicken broth.
- If your dog is having trouble adjusting to a new food it is best to transition them gradually. The first week, feed them 25% new food, 75% old. The second week, give them a combination of 50%/50%. During the third week, give them a combination of 75%/25%. During the fourth week, you should be able to give 100% of the new food. If at any point, your dog seems to have a bad reaction to the food (ie, vomiting or diarrhea) discontinue the new food. If the bad reaction then clears up, you’ll know that the new food doesn’t agree with them.
- Available in 4 lb and 12 lb bags.
- • Makes coats shiny and beautiful
- • Helps skin stay healthy and itch-free
- • Gives dogs more energy
- • Dry food helps to remove tartar and plaque and keep teeth healthy and white
- • Kibble is sized for small dogs to make it easier to eat and prevent choking
- • Glucosamine and Chondroitin help dogs joints and bones
- • Makes poops more solid
- • Relatively inexpensive
- • Made in the USA, although the ingredient, green tea is imported from China.
- • It can irritate some dogs’ stomachs
- • It is not liked by all dogs
- • The company that makes this product has recently eliminated the Ziploc seal feature
- • There have been some problems with damaged packaging when shipping
- • There have been some complaints about mold in this dog food
This food is an excellent alternative to the many other varieties of dog food on the market that are filled with less wholesome ingredients, such as wheat, corn, soy, by-products, artificial flavors and colors. Instead, it is chock-full of nutritious whole foods that you might even eat yourself, such as high-quality meat, vegetables, and fruits.
4 Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe Small Breed + Adult + Excellent Natural, Dry Food Option
Vitamins and Minerals:
Preservatives and Bad Stuff:
AAFCO approval: Yes
Even the smallest of canine friends deserve healthy, natural, well balanced meals. There are a lot of options out there in the world today; however Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe is one of the more well touted natural, small breed, dry dog foods on the market.
Proteins: At least 28% (Protein-rich, Meat and Meal)
Fats: At least 16% (Omega 3 & 6 Fatty acids)
Carbs: Not more than 4% fiber (Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Barley)
Vitamins and Minerals: Fruits and Vegetables, Calcium, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: None, a naturally preserved product
While the leading ingredient in this dog food is deboned turkey, the recipe does include chicken. In fact, chicken meal is the second ingredient listed in the product. Therefore, any pups with sensitivity or allergies to chicken may want to steer clear of this particular recipe.
*Additionally, as with any food, before switching brands or recipes, owners should be sure to check the ingredient list for any items to which their furry friend is known to have sensitivities or allergies, as well as the usual dangerous culprits such as onions, grapes, chocolate, etc.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe
The Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe is a naturally preserved food made specifically for smaller breeds. The company provides portion guidelines on this particular food for dog weighing 2 lb. up to 25 lb.; however, they also discuss recommendations for the potential of including this food in diets of much larger dogs as well.
Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe is proudly made in the USA by a company that is family owned. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe contains premium, all natural ingredients; it does not include any wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
The Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe is designed to be of a small kibble size with a large, well balanced nutritional profile, including antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies, as well as vitamins and minerals. With such a robust, well balanced profile, Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe is designed to support healthy digestion, body mass, and bones and joints, as well as ensuring vitality and healthy energy levels. Additionally, the presence of flaxseed, salmon oil, and Omega 3’s and 6’s in Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe results in incredibly healthy skin and coat.
The Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe did experience a recall back in 2012 concerning mold; the presence of mold in the food at that time had to do with the volume of water in the food. Since that time, the company has changed manufacturers, and there have been no further recalls of this product. Not surprisingly, however, loving pet owners still keep a vigilant eye out for the presence of mold in this naturally preserved dog food. While, as noted, there have not been any additional recalls, there is small handful of customers who report having found suggestions of mold in their dogs food. While this does not appear to be a pervasive problem, it seems important to take note of this history.
- The company offers tips on both portioning food if being served in conjunction with Wellness brand wet food, as well as how to transition to Wellness brand food if switching from another product.
- • If you choose to feed your dog a combination of Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe and Wellness wet food:
- – For every 2 Tbsp of wet food being given, reduce dry food by 1/9 cup
- – Every dog is unique, feeding frequency and amounts will vary with life stage, Breed, and activity level.
- • If you are transitioning from another brand to Wellness, it is important to do so slowly, as it your pet and his/her body will deal with the change much better. It takes a few days for the body to adjust to changes in ingredients and nutrient levels; so if you are transitioning your pet:
- – New food should be mixed in over a 5-7 day period. Each day, increase the amount of Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe you are giving in order for it to be at 100% by day 7.
- • As with any diet, be sure to keep a clean bowl of fresh water available for your furry friend.
- – Excellent flavor that most dogs love.. even the more finicky eaters out there
- – Promotes healthy digestion, healthy body mass, healthy bones and joints
- – Provides vitality and healthy energy levels.
- – Flaxseed, salmon oil, and Omega 3’s and 6’s results in healthy skin and coat.
- – Well balanced diet of natural food leads to better breath
- – No wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- – Made in USA
- – Smaller company
- – Concerns about a history of mold
- – Some pet owners discuss pups with severe reactions including vomiting, diarrhea and blood in stool, lethargy, etc.
- – Company removed Ziploc closure which can be problematic if dogs take a long time to finish bag
- – Triangular shape and pointy edges can cause coughing in very tiny dogs; food may need to be soaked in a little water to soften
While Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe aims to be the best, natural dry food for your small breed dog, every pet is different. Before trying any new food, it is important to be aware of your dogs normal behaviors and digestive patterns, as well as any food sensitivities or allergies. Read over the product ingredients, and talk to your veterinarian.
Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe may be an excellent choice for your little dog, and if you decide to make the transition, do it slowly. Pay attention for any abrupt changes, positive or negative, in his or her appetite, digestion, activity level, etc. The Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food Deboned Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe seems like a very well balanced, all natural dog food. Unfortunately however, every dog is different; and transitioning to a new food simply requires a little bit of attention to assure that change is a good and healthy one for him or her.
5 Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food This is a nutritious food that is popular with the pickiest eaters.
Proteins: When looking for food for your dog, it is important to find a food that packs a punch with protein—preferably from whole meat sources rather than meat by-products. Dog foods should contain at least 20% protein and this one contains 29%. However, the food contains meat, listed as the second ingredient after brewers rice. This second ingredient also happens to be a chicken by-product. By-products are usually perfectly healthy for dogs, they tend to contain enough protein, or even more protein, but they are usually more processed more than real meats. After the chicken, the third ingredient is corn, and then fourth is chicken fat. Ideally, the first three ingredients should all be meat. Also keep in mind, puppies need more protein than older dogs.
Fats: Foods which are high in fat, can cause stomach problems such as, diarrhea, vomiting, or flatulence. The ratio of protein to fat should be 2:1. However, this food is high in fat, it contains 29% protein, 18% fat, meaning it is high in fat relative to the protein.
Carbs: Many dogs are allergic to grain and gluten, plus, carbohydrates can lead to obesity. This food is grain-free, although it is not gluten-free, so it could pose a problem for sensitive dogs.
Vitamins and Minerals: The Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Food contains antioxidants and vitamins to help your puppy’s immune system, metabolic systems, teeth, and bones. Many consumers noted that it helped their dog be more energetic and lively. Plus, the vitamins A and C contained in this food will help your dog have nice healthy skin. This food has also been shown to result in a nice shiny and healthy coat.
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Contains natural preservatives to increase the longevity of the product
Contains gluten and animal by-products
Vitamin E: 350 IU/kg
It also contains Vitamins A, B1, B6, B12, C, and D3
AAFCO approval: Yes
Finding a nutritious food for your toy breed puppy is not an easy task. There are so many different varieties out there to choose from, each one is different, so which one should you choose? Proper nutrition is very important for a growing puppy, it can help prevent illness, and as a result, prevent expensive veterinary bills. Proper nutrition can also make your dog happier and energized. It can even help your furry friend live longer!
Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food is made for puppies that are younger than 10 months with an expected adult weight of 9-22 pounds. To make it easier for small dogs to consume, this food consists of small kibble sizes that will make it easier for your dog to grasp and eat. The crunchy texture of the kibble also helps to reduce tartar and plaque that can build up on your dog’s teeth and cause health problems and severe pain. Dry food also helps to keep skin healthier by maintaining flora in the skin.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food
This product meets the standards of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards meaning includes proper protein, fat, fiber, and moisture.
- • A puppy under four months should be fed 3 to 4 times per day. After four months, feed your dog twice a day (plus healthy treats). Senior dogs might eat only once a day
- • Be careful that you don’t feed your pup treats or food imported from China.
- • To determine if your dog is overweight, feel around the ribs. If you can’t feel the ribs, your dog is overweight. If you feel the ribs with a layer of fat and muscle, your dog is healthy. If the ribs seem to jut out, your dog is underweight.
- • Your dog will have smellier poops if he eats wet food instead of dry food.
- • If your dog is overly picky, it could be a sign for an underlying problem. Visit your veterinarian to rule out conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or juvenile renal dysplasia.
- • Recommended by breeders and veterinarians
- • Made in the USA and Canada
- • Picky dogs seem to really like this dry food
- • Small kibbles, sized for small mouths
- • Makes coats shiny
- • Gives small pups lots of energy
- • Grain-free
- • All-natural
- • Holistic
- • They recently changed their formula and some dogs don’t like the new formulation.
- • Contains animal by-products, corn fillers, and gluten.
The Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Food is chock full of the vitamins and minerals that your puppy needs for optimum health. It is not ideal, however, because of the high fat content and also because it contains meat by-products and nutritionally-sparse corn and rice as fillers. The taste seems to be popular with even the pickiest of dogs, and breeders and veterinarians seem to recommend it often.
6 Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food High in Protein, Nutrient-Rich Soft Textured Dog Food; A Great Choice for Picky Eaters
Vitamins and Minerals:
Preservatives and Bad Stuff:
AAFCO approval: Yes
Proteins: 36% (turkey and chicken, some flavors include salmon)
Fats: 21% (Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids; helps to promote skin, eye, and brain health)
Carbs: 17% (no wheat, corn, or soy)
Vitamins and Minerals: Contains healthy portions of vitamins like Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), and Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) from natural ingredients like blueberries, carrots, spinach and apples.
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food is preserved through preservatives that are all-natural. None of the bad stuff that can be toxic to your dog is used as a preservative.
AAFCO approval: Yes
Multiple protein sources may be included in each flavor (poultry and fish, for example). Be sure to check ingredients to make sure that the food will not set off any potential allergies that your dog might have.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food
The main ingredients in Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food are high in quality natural proteins – there are no corn, soy, or wheat fillers. Its protein-packed recipe makes it a top choice for small toy breeds, who benefit from diets high in protein.
All naturally sourced flaxseed and salmon contain omega-3 fatty acids (DHA) to help your small toy breed dog live a long, happy, and active life by promoting good skin, brain, and eye health.
Serve Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food as your dog’s primary food source, or you can mix it in with your dog’s regular food to add a flavorful nutrient boost that your dog will love.
Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food’s tasty formula can be an alternative to unhealthy treats that are full unnatural ingredients and preservatives; Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food is a great healthy alternative incentive that is full of nutrients that you can use to help train your dog.
This product is great for older toy breeds who may have a harder time chewing. It’s softer consistency and tantalizing flavor make Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food an ideal choice for dogs who have difficulty eating dry foods, or dogs who show no interest in eating their regular food. The great taste means that you dog will gobble up Wellness Core’s all natural ingredients like chickpeas, peas, apples, blueberries, spinach, broccoli, kale, and carrots and get the nutrients they need!
There are some potential allergens and inconsistencies that you should be sure to check before you plan to purchase this product and feed it to your dog. Please read and take note of these things below in the “Problems” section.
- • Delicious ingredients can entice all dogs to eat healthy – great for picky eaters
- • Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food has a formula just for puppies that can also be purchased for younger dogs, with ingredients and nutrients added to the recipe to help promote healthy growth and development for your puppy
- • Contains fiber to promote a healthy digestive system and calcium to protect bone growth and maintenance
- • 100 percent grain-free – no corn, soy, or wheat ingredients
- • Naturally preserved – no harmful preservatives are used to keep food fresh
- • All-natural, nutrient-rich ingredients, including fruit like blueberries and apples, and vegetables like spinach and carrots
- • Convenient – food is soft, but there is no refrigeration or addition of water required
- • Good for small toy breeds who have sensitive stomachs – helps to promote digestive health
- • Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food pieces can be mixed in to your dog’s regular food, or used as treats for training
- • Naturally-sourced omega-3 fatty acids help to promote healthy skin for your dog, while also protecting brain cell development and healthy eye sight, make sure your dog stays healthy as they age
- • Flavors may include both poultry and fish proteins, which may cause problems for dogs with meat or fish allergies
- • This product can be pricey if you are using it as your dog’s primary food source; however, Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food works great as a nutrient-rich mix-in option
- • This product is currently only available in 2lb bags
- • There may be some inconsistency in texture between bags, depending on when they are purchased
This is a high in protein, high in quality, nutrient-rich soft food option with flavors that dogs love. Works great as the sole-food source for your dog, or as a tasty mix-in or healthy treat.
7 Royal Canin Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food Best Dog Food for Skin and Coat Health of Small Dogs
Vitamins and Minerals:
Preservatives and Bad Stuff:
AAFCO approval: Yes
Proteins: 28% (from Chicken By-Product Meal and Chicken Fat)
Fats: 16% (supplemented with L-carnitine for increased metabolism)
Carbs: 49% with 3.4 % from Fiber
Vitamins and Minerals: Beets, contains vitamin E, vitamin C, biotin, vitamin B6, B1, and B12 and vitamin D3 and is also a good source of EPA, DHA, and L-Carnitine
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Contains corn, brewers rice, brown rice, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, potassium chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate
AAFCO approval: Yes
This dog food recently changed the order of ingredients on their ingredient list. Previously, chicken was the first ingredient followed by corn. With the updated formula, corn is the first ingredient and is followed by chicken by-product meal. There are many reviews of dogs getting sick after the updated formula, which is cause for significant concern.
The zipper can also be difficult to seal. If you don’t have a safe and dry location to store this dog food, it may be difficult to seal the bag and keep out moisture. Moisture will often cause bacteria growth in dry dog foods, leading to sick pups and spoiled food. If you don’t have a separate, waterproof container to store this dog food in, it may be better to get a dog food with a better seal.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Royal Canin Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin is crafted with specific nutrition in mind for small dogs during various stages of their life. The research Royal Canin conducted in creating this dog food found that smaller dogs have different nutritional needs than larger dogs. Smaller dogs need more protein to sustain their higher energy levels throughout the day. They also found that depending on the stage of their life, dogs have differing needs. From this, they crafted various dog foods to fit the specific, tailored needs of your dog- regardless of size or age.
Royal Canin is recommended by vets as a cost-effective alternative to more ‘high end’ dog food brands. Additionally, each kibble is uniquely shaped specifically for the mouths of small dogs. This leads to increased satisfaction for your dog’s dining experience, even when your pup is a little picky.
Although many users found that their dogs have flourished while eating Royal Canin Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food, the change to ingredients has resulted in an increase of the reported cases of sickness, including vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. One user even found a dead mouse in the bag. These reviews are not the experience of the majority, but there are enough of them to cause us to question if the new and improved formula is really a better option for our furry best friends.
- Many users have found that their dogs love when they modify the texture by mixing this dog food with a wet dog food, like Royal Canin Beauty Wet Dog Food. This is a good option if your dog is not a fan of the shape of the kibble. The wet food can also supplement the nutritional needs of your specific dog.
- This dog food is best for small dogs between 9 and 22 pounds. This dog food is also formulated for the nutrition needs of adult, small dogs. The recommended age for dogs eating this food is 10 months to 12 years. Royal Canin has created specific dog foods for puppies and for our senior dogs. Depending on the age of your dog, the adult dry dog food may not be the best option.
- Like with any dry dog food, it is important to store this food away from moisture which may cause bacteria growth. This is made even more of a priority because of the reports of the sometimes difficult to seal bag.
- ● Aids skin and coat health for small sized dogs
- ● Fulfills the distinct nutrition needs of small, energetic dogs
- ● Specially crafted to help your dog stay at a healthy weight through the addition of L-carnitine
- ● Kibbles are designed for the small jaws of dogs between 9 and 22 pounds
- ● Offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- ● Shipping costs are higher than other dry dog food options
- ● The design of the kibbles has caused some dogs to choke, so make sure to pay attention when you first switch to this dog food
- ● The zipper can be difficult to seal
While the new formula includes more grains and gluten, the specific design, added nutrients to add skin and coat health, and L-carnitine for increased fat metabolism provide overwhelming benefits for the Royal Canin Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Dog Food. It is the best option to maintain weight, promote skin health, and support a beautiful coat. It is recommended by veterinarians as a good source of protein and fats to support the energy needs of your small dog.
8 #1 Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food Best Natural Food For Toy Breeds
Proteins: 24 – 28% (Protein rich, Real Meat)
Fats: 12 – 16% (Includes Omegas 3 & 6 Fatty Acids)
Carbs: 4 – 5% (Natural Whole Grains)
Vitamins and Minerals: Real fruits, vegetables, calcium, phosphorous glucosamine chrondroitin, taurine
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Holistic, Natural preservatives, no bad stuff
AAFCO Approval: Yes
AAFCO approval: Yes
Protein, Fat, and Carb values differ according to flavor and variety.
Check the label on the bag for accurate information.
The MUST Know, True Facts about #1 Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food
Wellness Complete Health produces holistic and natural dog food using the finest natural ingredients and quality standards, made from fruits, vegetables, vitamins and minerals.
With ingredients such as de-boned chicken as well as antioxidant-rich spinach, blueberries, peas, potatoes, and hearty whole grains like brown rice, flax seed, and oats.
Their products contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
Wellness Complete Health has an extensive variety of choices in natural dog food, for all dog sizes and health conditions.
Wellness Complete Health is designed to have the perfect balance of protein, fat, carbohydrates and essential vitamins and minerals to support overall health and vitality.
There are three things to check before buying this product. Please read them below in the Problems section.
- Veterinarian recommended
- Good for dogs with food restrictions, sensitivities and allergies
- Good value for price
- Excellent for dog coats and overall health and wellness
- Some flavors chicken free
- Loved by all breeds
- Smaller kibble especially for toy breeds
- Family owned company
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Backed by Wellness Guarantee for Whole Body Health
- Check package for damage and contact manufacturer if ripped or moldy
- May cause flatulence
- Quality may depend upon location of purchase (warehouse shipment vs local store)
This brand is more expensive than some other brands, but the cost seems to be well worth the price. Several reviews showed that many veterinarians like this product, both personally and professionally. Many verified purchasers note that their dogs had healthier coats and skin after switching their dogs to Wellness Complete Health dog food. Some purchasers also noted their dogs either recovering, or fully recovered, from both long and short term health issues as well, resulting in a recovered savings from medical expenses in both the short and long term.
Very few issues are reported, and those that are reported are quite specific. No issues noted are specific to toy dog breeds, and all issues noted occurred in only in an extremely small percentage of all verified purchases. Some issues may depend upon location and method of purchase, whether the food was purchased online or in a local store (most complaints noted where in this area, and specific to larger bags purchased online). It is worth mentioning that the kibble has some notations as being smaller than other brands, so it may be easier for smaller of the toy breeds to chew, but may not provide adequate dental health depending on specific breed and size. It is suggested that the small breed kibble may not be appropriate for larger toy dog breeds, and that other treats, or kibble for larger breeds may need to be supplemented to avoid any potential problems in that area, but it is not considered an actual issue with the product itself.
The vast majority of verified purchase reviews show that this is a well-liked dog food, with many customers repeating purchases over many years, and for multiple dogs, and dog breeds. The brand ?name has a long history of providing quality, and has enjoyed an excellent reputation for many years. Overall this is an excellent brand of dog food for toy breeds, providing superior value for the money and bringing long lasting benefits for toy breeds, and their owners, for many years to come.
Wellness Pet Food
200 Ames Pond Drive
Tewksbury, MA 01876-1274
9 Nutro Ultra Dry Dog Food Superfood Plate: for small and toy breeds. High Quality + High protein + Mid-range prices
Vitamins and Minerals:
Preservatives and Bad Stuff:
AAFCO approval: Yes
Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate dog food is a quality, high protein mid-range prices food for toy breed dogs. For most dog owners, dogs are not simply pets, they are members of our families. This means that it is just as important to carefully consider your options for feeding your dog as it is to choose food for your human family. Nutro Ultra Dry dog food provides a reasonably priced and thoughtfully produced product. Nutro Ultra Dry is a high protein kibble made with quality ingredients created with toy breeds in mind. This food is crafted to meet the specific dietary needs of toy breed dogs.
Crude Protein (min.) 27.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 16.00%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00%
Moisture (max.) 10.00%
Calcium (min.) 1.50%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.00%
Zinc (min.) 250.00 mg/kg
Vitamin E (min.) 80.00 IU/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids min.)* 0.50%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids(min.)* 3.50%
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
Preservatives and Bad Stuff:
An important thing to remember when reading ingredient lists is that all preservatives are created equally. Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate lists no artificial ingredients on the packaging. The only two types of preservatives listed are mixed tocopherols and citric acid. This product contains no chicken byproduct meal, corn, wheat, or soy.
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) provides regulatory advice concerning pet feed to government agencies and states. The nutrient profile is based on their recommendations.
While Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate for toy breeds is an excellent option, be sure to always talk to your dog’s veterinarian concerning food choices and changes. Your dog’s veterinarian can provide additional information about your dog’s needs that are specific to age, weight, activity level, health concerns, and breed. Product reviews are not meant to replace the recommendations of your dog’s veterinarian.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Nutro Ultra Dry Dog Food Superfood Plate: for small and toy breeds.
Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate contains the vital nutrients to meet the general dietary needs of toy breed dogs based on a high protein diet. This includes fifteen superfoods, with chicken being first on the ingredient list. Other sources of protein are salmon, lamb, and pea protein. All ingredients are non-GMO. A common concern among owners of toy breeds is that regular dog food kibble is too large for their dogs to comfortably eat. The pieces of Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate kibble for toy breeds are small for the ease of toy breeds, abound a quarter of an inch in diameter.
Watch for any changes in your dog’s behavior or digestion after switching to a new brand of dog food. While uncommon, food changes can initially upset a dog’s digestion. If you notice that your dog appears to be acting or feeling different after switching food, please contact your dog’s veterinarian for help.
- After deciding to make the switch to Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate dog food for your toy breed, it is important to introduce the new feed gradually. A sudden change in a dog’s diet can cause digestive issues, particularly in toy breeds. When you begin to feed Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate to your dog, start by mixing with a greater amount of the current feed, gradually increasing the ratio of Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate until it is the sole food that you are feeding your dog.
- The primary benefit of Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate is the high-quality ingredient list. According to the product description, Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate contains a combination of fifteen superfoods. This blend contains chicken, lamb, and salmon; with chicken as the first ingredient. The ingredient list also boasts vegetable and fruit products including kale, beet pulp, pea protein, pumpkin and blueberries. For whole grains, Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate contains whole grain oatmeal, flaxseed, chia seed, and more. All ingredients are said to be non-GMO.
- Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate also caters to small and toy breeds, offering food for toy breeds in a four pound bag and food for small breeds in four, eight, and fifteen pound bags. All options are the same blend of ingredients simply packaged in differing sizes to ensure that they remain as fresh as possible.
- While Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate is a thoughtfully blended feed, there are a couple of potential problems; the first being the cost. While Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate comes in as a mid-range price and is not as pricey as some comparable gourmet dog foods, it may not fit all budgets.
- The other concern that owners of toy breeds may have is that this particular product from Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate may not be compatible with all dietary restrictions and preferences. This product is specifically formulated to meet the requirements of a typical adult toy breed’s needs. This particular blend may not be the right choice for puppies and senior dogs, or for dogs with certain health conditions. Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate also contains non-GMO whole grains, and some dog owners may prefer to avoid grains altogether. However, Nutro Ultra does offer other blends including grain free, puppy, and senior dog blends which may be a suitable alternative. Be sure to discuss food options and any concerns with your toy breed’s veterinarian.
Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate is the best mid-prices, high protein dog food available. Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate makes it easy to provide your furry friend with a quality, non-GMO diet. With a carefully crafted formula that meets the nutritional needs of most toy breeds, Nutro Ultra Dry Superfood Plate is a kibble that dog owners can trust.
10 Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food Appalachian Valley Small Breed- Venison Best Grain-Free Dog Food for your Small Dog
Carbs: 50% (4% from fiber)
Vitamins and Minerals: Contains garbanzo beans, peas, lentils, tomato, blueberry, and raspberries. This formula provides needed vitamins and minerals such as Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin E, Taurine, Omega-6 Fatty Acids, and Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: None
AAFCO approval: Yes
AAFCO approval: Yes
Several dogs have had allergic reactions, causing hair loss and sores. Some users think that a recent formula change is to blame, but there is no evidence to support this.
Many dog owners who use this dog food have found inconsistency in quality. This ranged from just one bag to years of using this brand and flavor with success, followed by one bad bag that caused extreme illness and emergency vet care.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food Appalachian Valley Small Breed- Venison
This dog food is one of the best options for your pet if you are looking for a grain-free, natural option for your pet. Most users absolutely love that this dog food promotes healthy skin and coats. They are impressed with the unique formula supplemented with probiotics for a healthier pup gut. This formula is made with venison as the main ingredient. The nutrition of the dog food is amplified with whole fruits and vegetables, varying from peas, tomatoes, blueberries, and raspberries. It doesn’t contain any grains, such as corn or wheat, which cause negative reactions in sensitive dogs.
Although most users absolutely love Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food Appalachian Valley Small Breed- Venison, there have been many reports of differing quality in bags. One user had even used this flavor and formula for years. They restocked with a new bag and found that the new bag made their dog sick. The kibbles were smaller and darker. This isn’t an experience that every user has, but it has recurred enough times to question whether this dog food is always made with the same quality ingredients as advertised. When a user does get a bad bag, it often ends up with a sick dog.
- Some dogs seem to have an aversion to this flavor, so start small if you are considering this dog food. As with any dry dog food, make sure that you are storing this dog food correctly to keep it from going bad.
- There seems to be intermittent bad batches, so if you are feeding this to your pup, pay close attention to him/her when you must begin a new bag.
- One of the benefits of the different flavors of Taste of the Wild dry dog foods is that they have a similar formula, so you can switch between them to meet the nutritional needs of your dog.
- This dog food does not contain either EPA or DHA, so your dog may need to take supplements when eating this food if their breed is prone to specific heart, eye, or mobility problems. Talk to your veterinarian to see if this is a concern for your small dog.
- This is a grain-free dog food which uses Garbanzo beans and other vegetables as fillers instead of harmful grains.
- Digestive health is supplemented with probiotics which are specific to small breed dogs.
- Natural source of antioxidants from vegetables, such as peas and tomatoes.
- Smaller kibble shape is perfect for your small dog.
- Made from pasture- raised venison which gives your dog a boost of protein.
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives were added to this dog food.
- Formula will support your adult or senior small dog
- Quality is not as consistent as it should be for this price
- May cause GI problems for your dog, including gas, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Some picky dogs just don’t like this flavor
- Numerous reports of bad batches, including different colors and kibble size/ shape between different batches
- This brand is more expensive than other similar dog foods
This dog food is mostly great. Users have found that it aids their dog’s digestive system. Dog’s skin and coat is healthier after eating this dog food. It is also specifically designed for the small jaws of small dog breeds. While it is typically great, there are very strong inconsistencies throughout online reviews of this dog food. If you feed this to your dog, be really cognizant of your dog to make sure they are not having a negative reaction to a potential bad batch. Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food Appalachian Valley Small Breed- Venison is a natural formula which is made without any grains and is filled with protein-rich whole ingredients to provide the best culinary experience for your pup.
11 Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food Toy Breed Chicken & Rice One of the best on the market for your pup
Proteins: No less than 26%.
Fats: no less than 14%, Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.4%, Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.75%
Carbs: No less than 5% of Crude Fiber.
Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium 1.3%, Phosphorous 0.8%, Vitamin A 25,000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 200 IU/kg, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 100 mg/kg, Glucosamine 250 mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulfate 200 mg/kg, Taurine 0.09%.
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: No meat by-products, wheat, corn, soy, or artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Contains natural preservatives. Made in the USA
AAFCO approval: Yes
Wellness Toy Breed Complete Dog Food is filled with balanced nutrition to suit the needs of a toy dogs. The nutrients come from lots of whole food ingredients—oatmeal, sweet potato, carrots, tomatoes, apples, ground flaxseed, salmon oil and chicken, just to name a few! You should feel good about the fact that it doesn’t contain meat by-products, fillers, such as wheat, corn, and soy, or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. This food does not contain wheat or soy, so it is a perfect solution for dogs with sensitivities or allergies.
Fatty Acids, like Omega-3 and Omega-6 are contained in the Wellness Toy Breed Complete Dog Food. These come from the sources ground flaxseed and salmon oil. These healthy fats are great for your dog’s skin and coat, immune system, teeth, and eyes. They can help stop problems like itching and shedding and even make your dog’s coat shiny and lush. It has a healthy ratio of fat to protein which is 51%.
Protein is important for dogs for energy and growth. The main sources of protein in Wellness Toy Breed Complete Dog food come from the first three ingredients, deboned chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal. Chicken meal, while it doesn’t sound very delicious, contains less water than regular chicken and therefore supplies three times the protein!
Many breeds of toy dogs are prone to joint problems, such as patellar luxation which can cause your dog’s kneecap to pop. Wellness Toy Breed Complete Health includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate, which are nutritional supplements that aid in bone and joint health.
In addition, Wellness Toy Breed Complete Health contains Antioxidants to help prevent your dog from getting sick. They come from clean, whole food sources, such as blueberries and spinach. It also contains Vitamins and Minerals for cellular health—the foundation of wellness.
Prebiotics and Probiotics are sourced from chicory root extract and healthy fiber in the Wellness Toy Breed Complete Dog Food. These nutrients are useful because they aid in digestion and keep your dog’s stools the correct consistency—not too soft and not too hard.
There is a mix of Calcium, Phosphorous, and Vitamins A and C in Well Toy Breed Complete Dog Food to help your dog have healthy teeth and gums. Also, the crunch of the kibble will help your dog clean it’s teeth. Speaking of mouths and teeth, this food is made up of very small, crunchy pieces, which make them very palatable for tiny mouths and jaws. Another thing, this food is great even for bigger dogs that might be missing teeth and have trouble chewing on larger pieces.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food Toy Breed Chicken & Rice
There are some complaints about the small size and price of this food, it is apparently not available in a size larger than 4 lbs. Many would prefer a larger, more economical choice. On the flip side, the small bag size means that you go through it more quickly and the food, therefore, stays fresher.
Nutritional supplements, like Chondroitin and Glucosamine are helpful in preventing bone and joint problems from getting your dog down. Some other helpful solutions include: weight loss, walking, swimming, and keeping your dog away from slippery surfaces. Running and jumping can make the problem worse.
It’s important to find healthy foods for your dog and occasionally food manufacturers have problems with certain batches. You can sign up to receive recall alerts for dog food at the Dog Food Advisor Web site or check periodically on the Web site of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- • Very tiny kibble for small dogs and dogs with missing teeth who have trouble eating larger kibble.
- • No additives, meat by-products, or fillers
- • Does not contain glutin
- • Most, even picky dogs, gobble this up
- • Recommended by veterinarians
- • Organic and natural
- • Gives dogs more energy, soft coat, clear eyes, and helps to prevent ear infections
- • Aids digestion, makes stools nice and firm
- • Keeps teeth clean and healthy
- • No strong odor
- • Resealable bag
- • More expensive than other foods
- • Available only in small, 4 lb bags
- • Some dogs don’t like it
- • Bag closure doesn’t seal very well
- • Some dogs are sensitive to it, causing skin irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea
Feeding your dog a healthy, balanced diet is important for his health and well being. Wellness Toy Breed Complete Dog Food gives your toy breed furry friend the nutrients he needs, tailored specifically to his size.
12 Sold Gold Wee Bit: Real Bison, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe This is an all-natural, holistic food for your small breed dog, in all stages of life.
Fats: 18% (Omega 3 & 6 Fatty acids)
Carbs: Contains not more than 4% fiber
Vitamins and Minerals: Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Zinc, Folic Acid, and Calcium
Preservatives and Bad Stuff: Contains natural preservatives
AAFCO approval: Yes
AAFCO approval: Yes
One of the first qualities that you will observe with this Solid Gold Wee Bit dog food is the tiny size of the kibble. It is a tiny 1/4” oval. This makes it perfect for toys dogs of any age, from puppy to senior. The small size also makes it a very good option for dogs that are missing teeth who have trouble consuming larger kibble. The crunchy kibble also helps to keep your dog’s teeth clean and shiny.
Wee Bit is filled with all kinds of high-quality proteins for building strong muscles. The proteins are sustainably-sourced from North America and Australia, and include bison, chicken fat, pea protein, salmon meal, and egg. It also includes protein from non-meat sources such as, pea protein, rice bran, and flaxseed. This protein will also help to keep your dog filled up and satisfied.
It also contains many nutritious whole foods which help to support the immune system and wellness of your pup. They are also important for the metabolic systems, bones, and teeth. These foods include, pumpkin, carrots, blueberries, broccoli, apples, and cranberries. In fact, much of the ingredients list reads much like a grocery list! With this food, you can feel confident that you are feeding your dog the best, unprocessed foods.
In addition, Wee Bit contains Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids which are derived from salmon oil, flaxseed, and ocean fish. These fatty acids are healthy oils that will give your dog healthy skin and a nice shiny coat.
Wee Bit also contains prebiotics and probiotics to aid in the health of your dog’s gut, improved digestion and the absorption of nutrients. Many people commented on how the look and consistency of their dog’s stools improved on this food. These important nutrients stay viable until they are consumed.
The whole grains in this product do not include wheat, which is a relief for dogs with a gluten sensitivity or allergy. Instead, whole grains are supplied by brown rice, oatmeal, and pearled barley which include fiber for healthy digestion.
This food relies on natural preservatives and a vacuum seal bag to keep it fresh. It does not contain ethoxyquin, BHT or BHA.
The MUST Know, True Facts about Sold Gold Wee Bit: Real Bison, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Recipe
This product is well-received by reviewers. One complaint about this food is that they have recently changed the formula. It used to not contain chicken (a common allergen for dogs) but it now contains chicken fat, so be sure to watch out for that if your dog can’t eat chicken.
- This dog has a very small kibble size, but in case if your dog still has trouble eating it, just add a small amount of water and stir it up. This will make the food nice and soft!
- When trying any kind of new food, buy a smaller bag first, just in case if it doesn’t work for your dog.
- Free feeding, or giving your dog, over four months old, access to food any time it wants is not suggested. Instead, be sure that you develop a schedule of feeding your dog twice a day if they are an adult. Free feeding can lead to obesity and other health risks for your small dog.
- Gives dogs a silky coat, less shedding.
- The small pieces are good for small dogs or dogs with missing teeth.
- Good for digestion (well-formed stools).
- Recommended by veterinarians.
- Helps to end eye stains.
- Does not contain fillers.
- Gives dogs lots of energy.
- It is good for picky eaters. Many dogs love this food.
- Does not contain wheat.
- Good for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Does not cause weight gain.
- Made in the USA
- This is not a grain-free food, although it does not contain wheat.
- The recipe has been recently been changed so that it now contains chicken fat while before, it was chicken-free.
- Some dogs don’t like the food.
- The 4 lb bag is smaller than other brands with 5 lb bags.
This food is a great option for consumers who are looking for a holistic, all-natural food for their small breed dog. It is well-suited for many dogs who suffer from sensitive stomachs or allergies as it lacks some of the common allergens that other foods contain. It also works out for dogs who are missing teeth as the tiny kibble is easier for them to eat. This food is a favorite for many picky eaters, although, occasionally you will find a dog who turns their nose up to it.
- Breed of your dog;
- Size and weight;
- Activity level;
- If female, whether or not your dog is pregnant or nursing; and
- Food allergies. Yes, pets get allergies, too.
A working, hound or sporting breed dog, or a dog that is helping tend a flock of sheep, or accompanying you on three mile runs each morning, is going to need a higher level of calories, than an English Bulldog sitting on the couch making sure gravity doesn’t fail.
Toy Breeds vs. Small Breeds? Are they the same?
Let’s address toy breeds. You will often hear ‘Toy Breed’ and ‘Small Breed’ used interchangeably. I must admit, at times I am guilty of interchanging these terms. The American Kennel Club (AKC) recognizes certain breeds in their Toy Group. The official Toy Breeds are:
- Brussels Griffon
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Chinese Crested
- English Toy Spaniel
- Italian Greyhound
- Japanese Chin
- Manchester Terrier
- Miniature Pinscher
- Toy Poodle
- Shih Tzu
- Silky Terrier
- Toy Fox Terrier
- Yorkshire Terrier
By comparison, small dogs can exist in any breed list, according to the AKC, and differ from Toy Breeds, in that they may serve a specific purpose, such as helping hunters, or having a high outdoor energy level. Overall, any dog can be a small breed, if it is under 35 pounds. I like to think of it this way: A square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle cannot be a square. So, a Toy Breed is part of the Small Breed list, but not all Small Breeds are Toy Breed Dogs.
This is why it is important to understand the food needs of your Toy Breed, as many food manufacturers do not differentiate their food product between Small Breeds and Toy Breeds. These breeds are close, but not the same. The biggest difference is probably in indoor activity levels. Toys Breeds tend to be highly active indoors. I like to compare them to sprinters. Small Breeds, such as the Boston Terrier are highly active indoors, outdoors, and anywhere they can go. I think of them as marathon runners or Energizer Rabbits!
Universal Things to Watch out for When Buying Kibble for any Breed
Kibble serves a fundamental purpose when feeding your dog. It is a great toothbrush! The crunching action of each piece literally scrubs plaque and tarter off the surface of the teeth, helping keep them clean. It also helps generate saliva, which helps rinse the mouth. This can save hundreds on the cost of dental cleanings, or extractions in the case of decay.
Toy breeds are prone to dental problems. Toy breeds typically do not drool as much as larger breeds. They also are not as interested as sitting and chewing and gnawing on a toy, which is an activity that would help clean their teeth.
If your dog is older and suffering from dental problems, your dog may suddenly refuse kibble. As such, kibble is a good way to check if your dog is having problems with their teeth. You will know as soon as your dog stops wanting to eat crunchy food. It’s good to have your dog’s teeth and gums checked every year by your vet. And, if the teeth and gums are in good shape, and kibble is being refused, your dog may have simply changed their food preferences. (No, I would never accuse your dog of being picky!)
Dry Food vs Wet food for Small Breed Pups
Most dogs love wet food. Why? It smells. Due to the smell, their senses are drawn to it. If you have ever done dog training, you know it is recommended to pick a dog treat that has a strong smell, as it will draw out the dog’s attention.
There may be times when wet food is appropriate, and it is best to consult your vet if you feel your dog would do better with wet food. Sometimes, senior dogs do best with a mixture of wet food and dry food.
Overall, however, dry kibble has less bacteria, it’s easier to store, it helps promote healthy teeth and gums, and it’s cost effective.
Specific Nutritional Needs and Dietary Requirements of Toy Breeds
The three main components of any diet are protein, fats and carbohydrates.
Protein provides essential amino acids that help with numerous processes, especially muscle development and maintenance. The most important muscle in the body is the heart. If a diet does not contain enough protein, the body will take from the heart. If too much protein, the excess protein can lead to kidney failure.
If trying to feed a dog a vegetarian diet, they may not get enough protein to support their body’s functions.
It is recommended to feed a healthy adult dog 2.62 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Simply put, determine what your dog should weigh. I say this, because if your dog is overweight, you need to be thinking in terms of what your dog should weigh. If your dog is 35 pounds, but should weigh 28 pounds, you want to calculate the protein needs based on 28 pounds, not 35 pounds, in order to get your dog back to the right weight. Base your dog’s diet on one (1) gram of protein per one (1) pound of ideal body weight.
A 28-pound dog should have about 28 grams of protein per day.
As a dog ages, their protein requirements will stay about the same, but their caloric needs will decrease. The general formula for determining calories needed is to take 200 to 300 calories and multiply it by every ten pounds of body weight.
For example, a 20-pound senior dog who is very sedentary would require 400 calories per day. A 20-pound senior dog that does water therapy twice per week, and loves to play might do better with 600 calories per day, as they are more active.
Veterinarians recommend the following amounts of nutrients for a dog weighing 30 pounds. (You need to adjust this down for Toy breeds weighing less than 30 pounds, by dividing the number by 30, you will get the amount per pound required):
Calcium – 0.75 g – supports strong bones
Chlorine – 150 mg
Choline – 425 mcg
Copper – 1.5 mg – helps with neurological development and maintenance
Folic Acid (68 micrograms) – higher levels required for pregnant or nursing dogs
Iodine – 220 mcg
Iron – 7.5 mg – helps blood cells
Magnesium – 150 mg
Manganese – 1.2 mg
Niacin – 4 mg
Pantothenic Acid – 4 mg
Phosphorus – 0.74 g – lower levels are necessary for dogs with kidney issues
Potassium – 1 g – helps regulate hydration
Riboflavin – 1.3 mg
Selenium – 90 micrograms
Sodium – 100 mg – helps regulate hydration
Thiamin/Vitamin B1 – 0.56 mg – helps maintain healthy brain function
Vitamin B6 (0.4 mg)
Vitamin B12 (9 micrograms)
Vitamin K (0.41 mg) – helps regulate blood clotting / thinning
Zinc (15 mg) – helps breakdown proteins, helps support the immune system
How You Can Prevent Disease with the Right Food
One of the most serious and common issues with any breed is obesity. Dogs are SO cute and so good at begging for food. Food is a very nurturing aspect of our lives, so we tend to equate food with love. It is easy to want to feed them table scraps or extra bites here and there. Whatever you do, do not love your dog with food. Think of food in terms of fuel.
You can cause serious health issues by over feeding. Obesity affects a dog’s heart and their joint health. Heart disease is often fatal. Joint health, while not fatal is very expensive to treat, as it often requires surgery. Osteoarthritis medications are expensive and come with serious side effects, such as liver failure. This can be avoided with a good, well-balanced diet.
Many diseases humans are prone to, are also common in dogs. Anemia, for example, is caused by a lack of iron and / or Vitamin B12. In some cases, anemia is caused by feeding a homemade diet without the proper balance of nutrients.
Dogs can suffer from high cholesterol and heart disease just like we can. All of the recommendations we are given about eating the right amount of fat, limiting salt, not eating too much, and making sure to exercise, applies to our dogs.
Rickets, which is the results of low Vitamin D, causes bones which are fragile and malformed. Calcium requires Vitamin D to properly metabolize, so seeking foods that have the right balance of calcium and Vitamin D help with bone development and growth.
Chronic Kidney Disease is often seen in older dogs. When kidney disease is observed, your vet will have you monitor water intake, as well as, phosphorus intake (e.g. limit phosphorus) to help the kidneys continue to metabolize nutrients. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to help prevent kidneys disease and aid in the treatment of it.
Lastly, due to the long lifespan of toy breeds, high quality food and nutrients will help support a longer disease-free life.
What to Look for When Buying Food for Puppy Toy Breeds
Puppies need a good start to ensure a healthy lifetime. Seek out puppy foods that are nutrient rich and dense in calories. Amino acids are particularly important, as the puppy will more than double its size during the first year of life. Amino acids are the building blocks of muscles. So, puppies need about 4% more protein in their diet than adult dogs. Puppy food should be close to 30% crude protein.
Toy breeds can withstand diets that are higher in fat, than large breed puppies. This is because large breed puppies are more prone to joint issues associated with rapid growth, such as hip dysplasia.
Toy breed puppies have high indoor energy levels, so consider taking the recommended amount of food, and dividing it by three. If, the recommended amount of food is one cup per day, feed 1/3 cup three times per day. This helps maintain blood sugar and energy levels.
What to Look for When Buying Food for Adult Toy Breeds
Protein levels that comprise 25% of the dog’s diet are ideal for an adult Toy Breed dog. Approximately 12% to 15% levels of fat.
Food with plenty of antioxidants help support the longer lifespans of toy breeds is very important.
What are antioxidants? Antioxidants prevent cell damage and cancer. Vitamin C is a good example of an antioxidant. Fruits and vegetables – complex carbohydrates – contain antioxidants. Examples are blueberries, applies, spinach, kale, and beets.
What to Look for When Buying Food for Senior Toy Breeds
Senior dogs are more sedentary and typically have more digestive issues. Due to the more sedentary nature, their caloric needs are much lower than those of a healthy Toy Breed adult. When dogs are more sedentary, they become constipated. Diets high in fiber are critical for senior dogs. You want to look for foods that have 4 grams of fiber per serving.
As they age, dogs become fickle about their diets. Their sense of smell may not be as strong, so food isn’t as appetizing. Due to inactivity, however, obesity is common as dogs age. So, you want to find nutritious food that is appealing, but make sure not to overfeed.
How to Read A Dog Food Label
Unlike human food, dog food labels don’t break out the caloric content in many cases. Dog food simply isn’t regulated the same way. The ingredients are listed in order of highest content to lowest content.
In the Indications, you will find the analysis breakdown of crude protein percentage versus fat versus fiber and other ingredients. As mentioned above, you want to target about 25% crude protein and about 12% to 15% fat.
Often times, dog food brands will have a chart by weight with a suggested amount of food to feed your dog. I still recommend having your vet review food requirements with you, and make suggestions about monitoring the quantity of food. Monitor your dog’s weight. If losing weight, increase food by ¼ cup per day. If gaining weight, decrease food by ¼ per day.
Is Small Breed Dog Food More Expensive Compared to The Price of Large / Medium Breed Food?
When calculating the cost of food, you have to look at the serving size. If your Toy Breed is 10 to 15 pounds and eating a total of one cup per day, a 15-pound bag of dog food is going to last a while. By comparison, that same 15-pound bag of dog food is going to last a much shorter amount of time for someone feeding a 60-pound breed that requires four cups of food per day.
The size of your Toy Breed and activity level (meaning larger size = more food and more activity = more food) will equate to a higher cost.
When I think of the cost of vet bills versus the cost of nutrition and having my dog live longer, it’s easy for me to make the decision to invest in high quality food.
Again, antioxidants are important for the health and longevity of any Toy Breed. Due to the longer lifespan, they need all of the support they can get to keep them happy into their teen years. Antioxidants aren’t just a gimmick or a ploy for pet food companies to make more money. There are years of scientific research to support the multiple health benefits of diets rich in antioxidants